Sealing washer positioning

Nooj

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi everyone,
Nooj here. I’m in the process of restoring a late model 12” craftsman branded lathe (28991) . In all my excitement, the lathe exploded into a giant spread of parts in my garage, and of course I failed to take as many pictures as I thought I’d need (after all, I have a piece of a manual that looks like a pirate’s treasure map- why would I need pictures?!).

My question is: The sealing washers that seal the chip pan- do they all go under the chip pan, or are any on top? Also, these are metal washers with a rubber washer on one side- does anyone know which way the rubber side should face?

You’d think it would be common sense… maybe it is and I just don’t have any.
Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.

Nooj

Attachments

• D0DD6D1F-5341-46EF-9AB3-6FE6EDE5AFBA.jpeg
    D0DD6D1F-5341-46EF-9AB3-6FE6EDE5AFBA.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 8
I’m certain that at least 6 of the 11 go underneath, because they’re too close to the edges of the pan to line up with the holes if placed on top. But I don’t remember which way they faced, or whether the other 5 were on top or bottom of the pan.
Memory is so cool.

That makes sense!

The rubber washer goes in between the drip pan and the stand, But where did you get the steel flat washers with rubber on one side? The originals had a rubber washer without steel washer built into it. And 15 years later that's still what they were supplying.

FYI, a somewhat cleaned up PDF of the Owners Manual is available in Downloads, which you have access to since you are a Donor. It is near the bottom of the list in the Atlas-Craftsman folder which will be near the top of the list of folders if you follow the two instructions at the top of Downloads (Click here First and Click here Second). And then open the Atlas-Craftsman folder.

The steel washers with the rubber side are the ones that were on it when I disassembled. They seemed to be in decent shape, so I re-used them.

OK. Atlas supplied them as two separate pieces so I was curious. So long as you installed them rubber against the bottom of the drip pan, they should be fine. However, neither side will be against either the nut or the bolt head as they will be between the pan and the bench, cabinet or legs.

Back