Sears Craftsman fading into the past quickly

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We are going to lose a source of parts for Craftsman tools and machines. Sears announces that it will be closing in the future. Length of time not determined at this time. The current leadership has basically strip the company for cash.

Retail is tougher than people think. Been there.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/15/news/companies/sears-store-closings/index.html

Maybe the online system can be improved and operate on it own, either still as Sears or by another operator.
Pierre

It's pretty obvious at the store near me, that management is working hard to strip the company and make it fail. Used to be able to go to the tool department and have a good selection and good quantities for everything. Now, it's well stocked if they have three of any of the sockets or wrenches and so on. Used to be there would be at least 6 of every item on the pegboards. I could put the entire hand tool stock from our local store in the bed of my truck and it wouldn't reach the top of the bed rails. All the other departments are looking the same. Need anything from the catalog, then you have to order it and have it shipped....5 business days minimum, if it's in the nearest warehouse, otherwise 10-14 business days. I've needed parts for items that are only 2-3 years old and they are not available from the parts operation anymore, or they never had any parts for it. If you actually need help in the store, then good luck finding anyone. Last time I was in the store, it took almost 10 minutes to find someone that could check me out. Got on the website looking for something and probably 70% of the stuff listed was sold by someone else and just listed on the Sears website. At this rate, the 5 years mentioned inthe article looks to be wildly optimistic.

Such a shame. What a fall from grace. Sears used to be known for their service and their life time warranty on Craftsman tools. If some investor had the where with all to recover the company and build on the Sears legacy I think it could be great. Unfortunately we have migrated to the lowest cost, no service places like walmart.

We are in the process of doing Kitchen renovation and went to our local Sears for stove, dishwasher and over the stove microwave. They had tonnes of selection. The associate was extremely knowledgeable and actually recommended some models that were less costly than our initial choice.

I truly hope the forecasters are wrong.

David

Anybody remember Montgomry Wards? Of course.. At the time I was totally amazed that what appeared to be a hugely successful business could just - well - go out of business. Now it looks like Sears - I hope not, we really enjoy our local "hometown" store. What grinds me is the money these executives get for running a busuness into the ground. Aren't they suppose to do just the opposite? Look at the debacle going on over at JC Penny - 10's of millions going to these executives that what has been, in essence, a "summer job" for some of these guys. I would think someone would buy the Craftsman name, maybe even Kenmore, Sears still has some value. Rant over - JK

The biggest problem with sears is they sale junk at a premium price. Once apon a time they were the mac or snap on for the every man. Now they sell tools coming from the same place as HF for 10x the price. Their mowers are no better then anyone elses as they are all bout the same. Their hand held out door equipment is right on par anything out there thats just a tick about homelite. The name stood for something long ago and they turned it into a gimmick

Back