Sebastian 12x36 lathe RPM Range?

wes5.7

Registered
Registered
I wanted to know if anyone knew the speed range on a 12x36 Sebastian lathe. The owner thinks top speed is 525 rpm. This seems a little slow for a lathe this size. I was wanting something in this size range but with a top speed of atleast 1000 rpm for smaller work. Seems like a beefy lathe. If anyone knows the approximate weight that would help. Owner thinks it might be too much for my truck. Truck is rated 1900lb. payload. I joined yahoos sheldon/sebastian group but my computer is so buggy it won't let me download the pdf brochures and when I try to email I get an error from yahoo. Not much on the web about later model sebastian lathes.

Mine has a high of 620 rpm. Manual does not give weight but I doubt it’s much over 1300 lbs. A lot of that in the cast iron base. Not a heavy pattern machine, the head stock is smaller than a similar 13” LeBlond. Hope this helps. Earlsabastiantwoedited-1.jpg

Thanks Bigearl, I was hoping the owner was mistaken on the rpm, i guess he isn't far off. The lathe looks very similar to yours but is mounted on a wood bench. Just seeing it on a wood bench made me think it couldn't be too heavy. I liked the fact of the gear head and quick change threading but the rpm kinda kills it for me since I want to make some dies and other small work. I guess i'll keep looking for a logan 11-12" or asian lathe if I can find one that has a decently slow rpm for threading.

You could easily swap the motor pulley. Timken bearing can take it without issue. Earl

Does anyone by chance know where to get some replacement gears for the Sebastian 12X36 gear box. I have two that are really bad. Also the speed on the 12X26 is 1440 RPM. Tops.

Back