Seeking help on my 833TV CNC conversion

Capn Noob

Registered
Registered
I'm at the last step of ordering the motors and controllers for my CNC conversion but I'm not sure what to chose and was hoping to find someone's recent build to duplicate.I want to go with clear-path servo motors #CPM-SDSK-3432P-RLN for the z axis and CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLN for the x & y axis but i'm lost from there. I had wanted to use Linux cnc software but I'm not sure if I'm up to wiring a mesa controller board myself and at this point If there's an easier way using Fusion 360 I'd be willing to go with that instead and shell out the extra fees to get it going and be done with it.
Any helpful input is appreciated.

Check in the PM subforum under the supporting manufacturers section here. There are a couple of us doing conversions on this exact mill.

I personally am using an inexpensive stepper kit with 1600oz motors on all 3 axis. Using centroid acorn for control on a Arizonacnckits conversion.

Acorn is super easy to wire everything up and get running. I was a tad intimidated at first with almost the options out there but glad I went acorn. Software is super easy to set up and get moving and works absolutely fine with fusion 360.

@mike96, I can't thank you enough for posting a helpful response. I was about to erase my message the other day and have been stressing about the whole set-up. It can be overwhelming to someone like myself that isn't an electrical engineer.

Trust me when I tell you, whatever option you decide to go with there should be more than enough documentation on the internet to ensure that you will be able to make it work. As for me coming from a mechanic background... If this grease monkey can get a manual mill moving with the power of electricity most people should be able to as well.

I don't have any experience with AC servos personally but I can tell you that if something happens to the steppers I will more than likely be converting to them at that point in time. Acorn from my understanding has no issues with either servos or steppers. If you do decide to go with steppers however do your self a favor and at least get a setup that is close loop at the very least. I have had a few issues with my machine loosing steeps every now and then especially when the saddle and head carriage are over extended until I realized the other night that I have been running the drivers in "half current" mode the entire time...:barbershop:

Also I have no experience with Linux CNC or Mach3 but that said, If I do another conversion (which may very well be a lathe next).. I wont hesitate to spend the cash on another Acorn controller. Wiring was super easy and very well documented they have their own forum if needed and software is simple. The hardest part for me was setting up the travel in each axis so that when you tell the machine to move 12.235", it actually moves 12.235" and not something else. second hardest was the touch probe, only because the probe was not documented in the support forum, it took me a few tries to figure it out.

@mike96 Thanks again, I didn't say earlier but I did decide to go with the acorn controller over the Linux set-up. After all the people including yourself mention of how much it's easy to set-up I figured I'll avoid any undue frustration trying to go the Linux route. You wouldn't have any pics of projects you've built with your cnc mill have you?

Most of my progress can be seen here. I don't have any pictures of the control set up in that thread however I need to get some pics of what I am working on currently. In the process of building a new control cabinet to house everything that contains the magic smoke that makes the mill function.

Back