Seeking input about this VFD

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here I am asking for experience again. This was recommended to me for powering my 3 hp mill. My mill is a cone pulley belt drive. with high and low range via back gearing. I'm not really worried about the variable speed function that most VFD's provide for this application. I certainly welcome any feedback before I pull the trigger. i was told this is an industrial unit and not a lightweight like most hobby machinist are using, So thanks in advance for all responses.

Last edited:
You don't say what VFD you are considering? That being said, I run my mill off a VFD and it has the same "cone pulley belt drive with high and low range via back gearing" head. I never use the VFD for speed control.

Sorry i forgot to paste the link I have a Baby Chihuahua Puppy in my lap that keeps biting my fingers when I try to type. Lol
IMG_0938.JPGIMG_0938.JPGIMG_0946.JPG

Last edited:
The 5Hp version is the same price, will install the exact same way and will allow you some overhead.

The Fuji 5Hp listed is three phase input, so no better than than the single phase input 3 Hp VFD model. The usual derating is model specific, but a conservative derating is to divide the output amps by 2 which puts that model at under 10A when running single phase.

The Fuji VFD's work as well as others mentioned such as the Teco L510 and the Hitachi WJ200, they all are reliable and should last many years. I have not seen any DOA of those brands on installation, the HY and others I would say about 25% have some degree of problems either DOA or fail within a few years. Like most electronics they have a bell shaped curve to reliability, if they work up front and last a couple of months, they usually will go for years until the end of life for some of the components occurs like the capacitors go or the inrush circuit fails.

When using Reeves drives, I usually recommend keeping the VFD Hz at around 60Hz and varying the speed mechanically, this optimizes the mechanical advantage of the drive and keeps the motor cooler then if you were to lower the speed with the VFD speed pot.

Here I am asking for experience again. This was recommended to me for powering my 3 hp mill. My mill is a cone pulley belt drive. with high and low range via back gearing. I'm not really worried about the variable speed function that most VFD's provide for this application. I certainly welcome any feedback before I pull the trigger. i was told this is an industrial unit and not a lightweight like most hobby machinist are using, So thanks in advance for all responses.

I have a variable speed mill, but when tapping I like to sloow way down(under 20 rpm), and use the vfd for that.
Also say you are at 1000 rpm, a vfd can give you a window of 700 to 1300 with a touch of the dial. I also like a slow ramp up and quick ramp down which is easy to do with vfd. A large red emergency stop button is used sometimes. These are features I use every day.
Vfd is from automation direct and I have used their support( it's average but they respond quickly).
I had bought a HY from amazon but it was a headache so I sent it back.
Then I bought an automation direct 3 hp for $253.00. A few difficulties programing but eventually got it working to all the parameters I needed.
also have a wj200 on lathe, because of mksj it was the easiest install and programing.Flustered

Last edited:
The Fuji 5Hp listed is three phase input, so no better than than the single phase input 3 Hp VFD model. The usual derating is model specific, but a conservative derating is to divide the output amps by 2 which puts that model at under 10A when running single phase.

The Fuji VFD's work as well as others mentioned such as the Teco L510 and the Hitachi WJ200, they all are reliable and should last many years. I have not seen any DOA of those brands on installation, the HY and others I would say about 25% have some degree of problems either DOA or fail within a few years. Like most electronics they have a bell shaped curve to reliability, if they work up front and last a couple of months, they usually will go for years until the end of life for some of the components occurs like the capacitors go or the inrush circuit fails.

When using Reeves drives, I usually recommend keeping the VFD Hz at around 60Hz and varying the speed mechanically, this optimizes the mechanical advantage of the drive and keeps the motor cooler then if you were to lower the speed with the VFD speed pot.
mksj thanks for pointing out the 5 hp is 3 phase input. I almost screwed up and bought it.

Back