Seeking wisdom of the wise

Jason5555

Registered
Registered
Hello, Please delete if not allowed but I recently aquired an assortment of reamers, Many seem custom and job specific. I'm hoping someone can share their wisdom on a variety of reamers which has me stumped. I'm curios if they are made for a specific machine/ purpose and any information would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures below but all are roughly 24" long, shank end is 7/8" diameter, with a 3/4 squared end and is alsp tapped at the end for 1/2-20.

20181024_105330.jpg

20181024_105341.jpg

20181024_105355.jpg

Starcut is the brand name of Star Cutter. A quick search shows lots of oddball specialty tooling for sale. The hole in the end is probably for coolant to flow through. My WAG is that the reamers were left over from an automotive engine manufacturer when they switched model years and sat in a warehouse for several decades before you got them.

Wow! My call for the wise really worked; I've learned alot from your work scattered about on the internet. Your guess might actually prove accurate as i aquired them from a facility that did perform odd jobs for the automotive industry. It was a third generation buisness and had an auction due to moving to a smaller facility. The owner said he couldn't compete with china and Mexican prices. I ended up with an enormous amount of enormous sized tooling. Thanks for sharing your input wise sir.

No problem, the hard part is finding a use for them. We have a place in downtown Dayton (Mendelson's Surplus) that has acres of that kind of stuff from various plant closings. They haven't been able to sell it in decades but if you ask about a price they toss out some ridiculous number.

Hi Guys,

They are deep hole reamers ! The threaded hole in the top is for attaching extension rods. The only application I can think of, off the top of my head, is reaming firearms barrels. I can't imagine them being used in automotive work.

Deep hole reamers they are. But I don't believe they were for barrel work (atleast not for civilians) as all measure at various sizes near the 1" or 25mm range. It could go either way on the threaded end but it is a through hole to both ends which makes coolant highly likely. I'm highly intrigued at what these were originally driven with and wish I would have asked.

Hi Jason,
Reading your post brings another thought to mind. Hydraulic valve lifters in some engines are about that diameter, and they would need to be very accurately sized.

Back