Series 1 Gear Noise - High Speed Only - Cog Teeth Alignment ??

I am not sure I know what the clutch is. The two castle gears are in direct contact. There is no intermedery part. There is a collor on I believe the drive gear which provides some level of alignment. Is there a 'third' part?
I assume you are talking about the castle gears. No, what I would describe as teeth are not bottoming out. There are partially engaged. I have been wondering if there were an adjustment and they should be engaged furthor than they are. Is this what you were referring too? If not can you provide additional information?

Barry said there are different procedures to try and get the gears to better mesh, one is for the step pulley and one is for the variable speed. He said they are both temp fixes for the issue.

@dansawyer I would recommend just giving him a call. This is not at all my area of expertise and am probably butchering what he tells me lol

Jon

Progress report:
The noise had a pattern to it as well as a light metal element. Additionally when I rotated the spindle slowly while the running the head in neutral I noticed the same sound. I decided to check the light aluminum gear cover plate.
I tore down the head and carefully flattened the aluminum plate on a bloch of wood, reassembled, and tested.
That was the majority of the problem. High is clearly noisier than neutral or low. There is likely some worn castle gear noise, but it is definiteliy acceptable.
(Now that problem is fixed I will call Barry and get some pointers on adjustments. - Thanks for that.)

Back