Series 1 knee tough to raise

Thanks for the input, guys. I cleaned and lubed what I could easily access, and after adjusting the gib I thought I had, but it still sticks. I have an engine hoist, so a full tear down may be feasible. I teardown most all the motorcycles I buy, I tore down my lathe, so why not the mill…

I’ll start researching the process

Thanks for the input, guys. I cleaned and lubed what I could easily access, and after adjusting the gib I thought I had, but it still sticks. I have an engine hoist, so a full tear down may be feasible. I teardown most all the motorcycles I buy, I tore down my lathe, so why not the mill…

Keep the pics coming.
Many of us have clones or heavy duty clones.
It's always interesting to me to see the design variations.

H&W Machine Repair Has videos on everything you need to know as well as quality parts.
Use a rolling table or tool box to catch and support the table and the hoist for everything else.

Just because you get oil out of the tubing does not mean oil is getting to the ways. Check to make sure it's wet . A basic question but you did make sure the locks are off right?

I checked out the H&W videos, looks like a pretty straightforward job. If I shift things around some I can use my motorccycle lift table as a work surface. Pics to follow…

Yes, the locks are off.

I checked out the H&W videos, looks like a pretty straightforward job. If I shift things around some I can use my motorccycle lift table as a work surface. Pics to follow…

Yes, the locks are off.
Motorcycle lift is perfect for the table, It's HEAVY!
Once you have it on your lift, use T-nuts and studs to bolt a 2x4 handle to the table to roll it over. I thoroughly pinched my finger tips when my rolling table moved mid-flip!

After watching the H&W video I'm a little nervous about removing the encoders. Any suggestions for methods and precautions to prevent damage and make reinstallation as possible as possible?

Interestingly, the x scale is an Acu-Rite and the y is Anilam. The display is Anilam.
20240127_101745.jpg

20240127_103344.jpg

That's a problem Richard King pointed out somewhere, make sure they are kept perfectly clean. The absolute bottom of the dovetails are often coated in dried oil and dirt.
Good point. I never clean this area.

Motorcycle lift is perfect for the table, It's HEAVY!
Once you have it on your lift, use T-nuts and studs to bolt a 2x4 handle to the table to roll it over. I thoroughly pinched my finger tips when my rolling table moved mid-flip!
Oh yeah, they are very heavy. When I first bought my Sharp TMV I went through the one shot oil system. I pulled the table off. It's 10X51".
I had two guys on one end just in case. I think I slid it on forklift forks.
Be careful

I'm an idiot. I made sure the knee wasn't locked by checking these:
20240127_111100.jpg

But never noticed this:
20240127_111105.jpg

With that loosened the knee moves without any issues. :rolleyes:

I'd still like to take it apart and clean it up and make sure the oiler is working well, but I have no reason to think it's not and I have other projects at the moment.

Back