Servo Power Feed For Z Axis

Started a project today that required lifting and lowering the knee several times. How did I ever do without this?
My main concern which caused me to buy a Servo is the availability of parts. Talking with companies that peddled the off brands I was told no parts were available and if it broke or wore out just throw it out and buy another. Not going to even consider doing that!

Thought about starting a new thread due to the age of this one, but no need.

Bought myself a Servo 200 z-axis power feed for Christmas for my 2600lb Acer e-mill 3VSII (see below). I considered more economical power feeds but saw an installation Youtube video of just such a model installed on a Bridgeport clone that barely had the oomph to lift the 12inch knee and vise, let alone any heavy workpieces.

I have also decided to stop supporting "the mainland" and their imminent invasion of Taiwan, which will likely render every ones' Taiwanese tools obsolete and/or un-supportable. I have a Taiwanese power feed on the X-axis which has been working well for me for many years, but the added load of the knee had me concerned enough to buy the more powerful domestic model.

I considered just buying one of those hand-drill knee adapters, but I had a very profitable side hustle this year and needed tax deductions, and I'm assured Servo's are made state side, so it was an easy decision. H&W assures me that this model will have more than adequate torque for the task.

I didn't expect it to arrive until after New Year, but showed up about 3 days after ordering. My wife says she'll put a bow on it and put it under the Christmas tree.

I've been thinking about this purchase for awhile since separating my left shoulder some years back. Physical therapy helped a great deal with the injury but it's certainly not as strong as it used to be. Probably should have gone with the surgery at the time. Consequently, I usually use my right arm for cranking the knee. But now with a recent torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder I have little option but to install a Z-axis power feed, particularly if physical therapy only improves the rotator cuff injury as much as it did the separated shoulder injury.

In examining the little baggie of installation parts for specific machines, I see that the extension shaft is quite short, relative to the several x-axis Youtube installation videos I've seen. It may be correct but I won't know for sure until I dismantle the pertinent parts on my machine, and I have one more job to complete over the Christmas break for a niece before doing that.

I'll post pics and commentary on the project here for your viewing pleasure. Stay tuned campers.

Acer_up_on_feet2.jpg

Last edited:
Back