[Lathe] Setting up the compound angle

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

The problem is setting up the compound angle on a mini lathe or, for that matter, any lathe which has the locking bolts located under the compound slide. If I want a given angle I can unwind the compound completely to the right, thus revealing the two bolts and I can then use a protractor to set the desired angle. However, if I want to copy an existing taper, indicating along it's length, I have to loosen the bolts and then wind the compound over the bolts, which means that it is impossible to lock them. In order to lock the bolts the compound must be unwound and it's very difficult to do that without upsetting the angle. I've read that some people claim to copy tapers in a mini lathe but I have no idea how they do it; any suggestions are welcome.

José

usually I just get the bolts snug enough to keep the compound from moving freely and indicate the taper in
using a soft hammer to fine tune it. ounce it is set you can go back and tighten the bolts.

mike

Hi I am trying to picture this, I take it when you set the compound you cant access the two bolts? I
picture this like my S. Bend which is also a little hard to get a wrench in there so I use allen set screws
when needed. I really dont know Id have to see it. As far as turning a taper without plugging up your
brain with math, I think the easiest way is to chuck up a known taper set an indicator on the compound
rake it back & forth till it reads -0- then lock the compound. Everyone has their method, I do it that
way cause SBs degrees are small and on the backside and I cant see it (need spy glass flashlight) and
just a general pain. My big lathe has four 3/4 nuts tucked in the sides of the compound, and big degree
numbers facing the operator. thats nice

Id like to know how big a taper will your machine turn beside not too much. I have never seen a mini lathe
in the flesh so I have no clue. My stuff is measured in tons.

Hi GK1918

compound.jpg

If you look at the picture you'll see that the locking bolts are accessible only when the slide has been moved completely to the right. In order to indicate along a taper the slide has to be moved to the left, masking the bolts, so, the situation is this: the bolts must be loose for the angle to be adjusted and then the slide has to be moved to uncover the bolts but, since these are loose, it's difficult to ensure that the angle hasn't been upset.

I hope this clarifies the difficulty.

José

compound.jpg

compound.jpg

I can't quite tell what kind of bolt heads are on the cross slide but how about something like this:

A "flat" hex or socket on an extended arm to reach under the compound.

FWIW :)

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Actually I found a Lever Operated Compound Lock aimed at solving this problem; the plans cost $6.95 and it is claimed that only a 4 jaw chuck and a drill press are needed to make the mod. I may end up purchasing the plans if I can't find other alternatives; I think I would prefer accessible bolts to a lever sticking out on the side of the compound.

José

Last edited:
There is a mod file on the 7x10 users group files that converts to a southbend style with bolts that are accessible. I haven't tried that particular mod, but the plans are free anyway.

There is a mod file on the 7x10 users group files that converts to a southbend style with bolts that are accessible. I haven't tried that particular mod, but the plans are free anyway.

Thanks a lot; why didn't I think of looking it up there?

José

Back