Shaft Clearance

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
Question. I am making slow progress on my Lathe Spider, this is going on the PM1440GT. I would prefer a fairy close slip fit as will use 4 flat bottom set screws to secure it. What is the preferred clearance to achieve this, (spindle OD vs Spider ID I would rather hit it before I remove it from the chuck and not have to make multiple attempts. Would .0005 to .001 be enough, Thanks!

Steve

I probably had closer to .0015" and it sliding on easy has it's advantage. I took mine back off after using for a while and enlarged the ID on outboard end, so that I could use swivel pads on bolts instead of aluminum or brass tipped bolts. The set screws will secure it and the spider bolts allow you to true the work piece, so doesn't need to be a press fit.

Thanks for the reply and that makes sense, I'm not looking for a press fit but still learning and just want it to fit nicely if that makes sense.

The ability to measure that ID to .0005" will be where the challenge lies. Hopefully you have an independent 4 jaw chuck but pulling it out prematurely and then having to re-indicate in 4 jaw is just part of the learning curve.

I would think 1 thou would be fine and easy to achieve
-M

between .001" and .002" is sufficient running clearance

Finally got around to needing one recently. I kinda 'snuck' up on mine, using several trial fits along the way. It's still a bit snug, so it's likely closer to a .001" fit.

Back