Shaft Material?

QCTP Stud?Guys I also need to make myself a 9/16 stud for my AXA tool post.Would 1144 or 4140,W1 be a good choice for this?Trying to use up these 3' rods that I am ordering

Now remember, this is coming from the guy who will just use whatever he has laying around... but of those 3 choices, I personally would go with 4140. It's a chrome - moly steel and can be heat treated fairly easily if needed/desired.

A readily available source of a good material for the studs you are looking for would be a grade 8 (or maybe 5) bolt that you can pick up at your local Tractor Supply or hardware store. I use them all the time. They machine OK and are a good, higher tensile strength material.

Hey, I was brought up on a farm and you make due with what you have! ;)

Ted

Last edited:
I machine O1 all the time with no problems, also 4140 which I find needs higher feed rates to get a decent finish. They will all work well for a QCTP stud, I have a lot of O1 rod in different sizes so works well for me most of the time. The 1144 is also easy to machine, they will all will work well for a tool post.

Recently made an O1 stud for my BXA QCTP that required a M16 thread on the bottom for the base. I turned the rod down from 3/4" rod that I had.

Why not just use 12L14 for the tool post stud? More than strong enough for the application, easy to work with and cheap. A tool post stud doesn't take a lot of torque. Pretty sure Aloris uses it for their studs.

Why not just use 12L14 for the tool post stud? More than strong enough for the application, easy to work with and cheap. A tool post stud doesn't take a lot of torque. Pretty sure Aloris uses it for their studs.
12L14 or 1215 machine easily and are a good price; they do rust easier,though.

Ductile iron? no way! Totally inappropriate for that application. For a light duty milling arbor, 1144 would be just fine.

I make a lot from dura-bar 60-40-18 ductile iron and then harden it to 55-60 Rc. Its my favorite material to work with..... Its indestructible!

Back