Shaft repair for a cement mixer

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made a new shaft for my brother's cement mixer. The gear was pinned on. I had to drill thru 2 blind, hardened roll pins, not a fun task ! I milled a flat on the gear side for a set screw instead of pinning it back on.
I'm not sure why the bushings were made of steel, but I made them the same. I think I'm going to bore them out at a later date and press in bronze bushings.

He needed it for this weekend, a friend of his has a disabling disease and needed a sidewalk poured for wheelchair access. So it was a rush job.

IMG_20230301_185258_01.jpg

A single setscrew might tend to come loose- you might want to add a second one at 90 degrees to the first
Steel bushings? Sounds like Harbor Fright come home to roost. Can you do ball bearings?
Looks like a lot of force involved

A single setscrew might tend to come loose- you might want to add a second one at 90 degrees to the first
Steel bushings? Sounds like Harbor Fright come home to roost. Can you do ball bearings?
Looks like a lot of force involved

I locktited it on also, i was thinking about the ball-bearings.

Drill into shaft from set screw hole to create a small dimple.

First setscrew goes into the dimple.

Second setscrew goes above first in same hole to lock it.

Or, drill through shaft and collar with single hole the size to fit a pin.

Drill and tap collar on both sides for setscrew to block hole to keep pin in.

Broach the collar and use a key.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Replace the pin with a bolt, Use a grade 2 bolt so it will shear if necessary and be a lot easier to replace.

Back