Shallow Taper Screw Head Id?

pebbleworm

Active User
Registered
I am taking apart an old vise and found these shallow taper allen screws holding the remaining jaw. I think I have seen these before in an old book on fasteners, but have not been able to find them on the interwebs. If anyone knows what they are called I would sure like to know. Taper seems to be about 25-30 degrees. It's not critical to making a replacement jaw, but I can see some advantages over a 90 degree countersink. Thanks in advance!

jaw screws.JPG

Looks like insert screws used on face mills to secure the inserts. What thread are they?

Edit: Insert screws have Torx sockets instead of hex sockets, but would probably work depending on the thread size. If not, modify some flat head screws.

Thanks for the fast reponse! Threads are 1/4X20. The remaining jaw is not hardened so it and these could (and I'm leaning towards probably) be shop made since it came out of a big installation. I am thinking of facing the jaws with some 1/4" copper so some taper on both pieces could help. I think.

Thanks for the fast reponse! Threads are 1/4X20. ....snip.....

They definitely are not insert screws. I would change the countersink to something easier to obtain, like a 82 deg. countersink. That way you can use standard flat head screws.

That's what I am thinking- it won't make much difference once everything is back together. What I think is the build date on the vise is September, 1943 so it's been around a while. I was just curious about these oddball screws. The soft jaw is stamped with the model number of the vise, so it must be from the (Rock Island) factory.

Last edited:
I needed 4 of those about 6 months ago. Metric. I never found the name of them. Sears has them listed as spare parts for the 6 inch vise. I found some thick button head screws at Ace hardware. I turned down the heads and tapered the top to match the old screws. A bit shallow on the hex socket, but they are still holding the vise jaws on. I'd like to know the engineering name of them.

Back