Shaper 2 piece Vise

Mostly, the jaw lift on it is annoyingly large.

Did you try the ol' drill rod workaround? Put a piece of drill rod (I use drill blanks, usually 3/16 or 1/4) between the workpiece and the movable jaw. Should cut down on the lift.
The vise that came with my Ammco had a *lot* of lift, which I eventually tracked down to the moveable jaw plate not fully seating (buncha swarf and old oil solidified in the bottoms of the thread). It's still not a great vise, though. Tempted to just replace it with a toolmaker's vise.

Did you try the ol' drill rod workaround? Put a piece of drill rod (I use drill blanks, usually 3/16 or 1/4) between the workpiece and the movable jaw. Should cut down on the lift.
The vise that came with my Ammco had a *lot* of lift, which I eventually tracked down to the moveable jaw plate not fully seating (buncha swarf and old oil solidified in the bottoms of the thread). It's still not a great vise, though. Tempted to just replace it with a toolmaker's vise.
I did not. That's a good idea though... I'll have to try it on my current project. The swivel ability on a vice will be nice too, but it would be great if my 2 part vise was still pretty usable for large things!

Back