SHEET METAL FORMING DIES / MOLDS

Calandrod

Registered
Registered
Howdy all,

I have access to a 300 ton press and want to make some ambitious projects forming sheet metal. I could really use some help getting started as I know little about the process. If there are any savvy tool and die makers or anyone who knows this stuff, I’d love to chat. I want to make pedal cars out of probably 12 or 14 guage.

My current questions:
What kind of draft is required?
What do I need to know for designing the dies?
Any good resources to look at getting started?

I am not your expert. But I think the best place to start would be to figure out how many tons of force is required to form the specific die you’re imagining.
At my last job we used a 300 ton press for forming 22ga.
We had some 600 ton presses for thicker material.

That is way too heavy, 12 ga is what the columns in my shop are made from.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

12ga would make a peddle car to heavy for any kid to move. 18 ga would make for a very heavy duty pedal car.

Not to rain on your parade too much, the material for dies for a one piece pressing for a kids pedal car is going to be incredibly expensive before you even do any machining on it?
Not sure how far you thought this out?
Have you measured steel thickness of older car body?
Modern cars are even thinner, using high carbon steel

I was a Tool & Die maker for 20 years. Made progressive dies more than large single hit dies. The time and cost to build a die means you typically expect high production, not one or two offs. How many of the same car bodies are trying to make?

First obvious question is the press itself: what is the size of the press bed, the shut height, vertical stroke of the press, and speed of the stroke (typically strokes per minute)? Is that big enough for your pedal car body (also allowing for the form blocks outside the final shape)? When I picture a pedal car, I am guessing 18" wide by 24-30" long. Trying to stamp that in one hit with 12 ga is going to be a challenge for 300 tons, but depends how deep you need to go and how well defined form lines you expect. By breaking the body into 2-4 sections, you have a much better chance of success.

And yes, as mentioned, 12 ga is .105 nominal thickness, so very heavy for a pedal car body. Even full size automotive body panels back in the 40's were less than .042" thick.

First thing you need to learn is how to unfold your intended shape so you know what size your flat blank is. You can find information on this online. Complex curves are much harder to unfold than rectangular shapes.

You really do not need draft for metal stamping, but deeper draws do tend to spring open a half degree or more. Your struggle is going to be buying consistent thickness material if you want to make several, as cheaper sheet stock tolerances for 18" wide will be +- .005. Doesn't sound like much, but if you built your form clearance for exactly .105 material and you put .110 material in it you will blow your forms blocks out of position. If you design for .110 material and you put .100 into it, your forms will be all washed out and have very large spring back.

For large single hit dies you have a few design considerations. Simplest is if you can make a punch matching the inside of the body, then press that into a hard rubber or urethane lined die. Will be cheap, but won't have good form definition. If you build a solid steel form die, you could cut blank to size first manually (or in a blank die) or cut to size after forming manually (or even build a pinch trim die).

Die sets can be bought to custom dimensions to match your press.

Grandpop nailed it. I get the idea of using the press but for anything bigger than a small Tonka it just doesn’t have enough umph. And using a press for this kind of forming is not how its done unless you are going into business and going to pump out hundreds because making the tooling is so time consuming.

I’ve been bitten by the cyclekart bug and am doing my research as it checks so many boxes for me. It also is how custom cars of any size are done. Make a wire or wood buck and using hand tools, English Wheel, beadroller and planisher you can make anything out of 18ga sheetmetal.

This guy used refrigerators!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Tony.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Tony.
LOL, me too Bill. I love the whole idea of cyclekarts…..true hobby gentleman pastime. Based around early 20th century race cars(which I know nothing about) with HF gas engine and old Honda 90 wheels. Very social and very creative with more craftsmanship and less competition. Like pedal cars for old dudes :)

I love the idea of making a car but have abandoned that idea but this cyclekart thing just looks like so much fun! Surprisingly I was looking at one of the many vids on YouTube and now SO wants one! Now if I could just get my ever expanding gottado list to shrink to the point I can get to my wannado list……..

Lots of latitude on how you handle the bodywork, you could start simple and embellish one area at a time after it's in running condition.

Back