Sheetmetal roller repair

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all,

Hawaii Railway Society has this old, surplus sheet metal roller we are trying to restore to functional condition.

3619CAA0-A1C8-4C6F-8818-EE91BE33DF3A.jpeg

At a minimum, It’s missing a spur gear on one of the rollers. Also, we are not sure if this machine should have two gears or three (one hear for each roller). There are holes drilled into each shaft. The one remaining gear is pinned to the shaft through one of these holes. So we are wondering if and how they used three gears on the three rollers.

Anyone recognize the make and model of this Unit. It likely came off a nuclear submarine. (The cooks in the galley used these machines to make giant tin cans, which got filled up with ships garbage, then ejected through the hull, when on patrol.

.i.AAAFDFE5-F245-4B96-8BF5-CAE50503836F.jpegE9A5D72A-32F6-422F-AA2E-CED8A0CC4EFD.jpeg

BTW, we don’t think it glows in the dark.

Glenn

5EEF363B-7AC2-475A-AA1C-026F23C44626.jpeg

930CE412-85F5-492B-ADA0-BDA9F3BB5A59.jpeg

The ones that I have seen had gears on the upper and lower shafts, but it would be an easy matter to make two new ones for both shafts where they are obviously missing. All one needs to know are the diametral pitch, number of teeth and dimensions of the blank.

The top roller needs a gear. A gear would turn the third shaft in the wrong direction if driven off the bottom shaft and mesh would change as the third roller is moved to change diameter.

Greg

The top roller needs a gear. A gear would turn the third shaft in the wrong direction if driven off the bottom shaft and mesh would change as the third roller is moved to change diameter.

Greg
You are very right about the gear turning the bottom back shaft the wrong direction!

I believe you have a Pexto sheet metal roller. A gear on the top and bottom rollers with the adjustment screw for the thickness on the bottom roller. The third back roller adjusts the tightness of the formed cylinder.
DBQ49er

Thanks all, this is very helpful information. We measured the pitch and diameter of the existing gear. Hoping a local gear supplier can provide a pre made gear for the missing one.

Glenn

We, actually the Director of Restoration at the Society, found an old 1947 Pexto brochure on Antiquemachinery.org that lists a similar style sheet metal roller. So a lot older than we thought. Cold War era, or maybe Vietnam. Possibly WW 2, maybe...

7AFFAF26-7F92-4617-948E-1319E5587BA2.jpeg

I found an 8 pitch spur gear on Amazon, of all places, that apparently has the proper hub diameter. Only cost $12, and shipping is free, so ordered it and will send it on to Honolulu when it arrives.

First machine tool restoration I’ve done on line. Imagine that!

Glenn

Back