Shen Jey 1740G/Millport 1740 Parts Compatibility with Eisen (WinHo) Lathes

MtnBiker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Parts compatibility between the Shen Jey 1740G (7.5 hp 2-speed motor, 32-2,000 rpm headstock) and current Eisen 1640G (WinHo 17" 430mm). I will keep this updated. If you are a Victor owner, let's open an equivalent Victor compatibility thread.

Most of the basic chassis elements look to be exact matches (basic components like bed way size/geometry, lead screws, motor mount/tensioner, belts/pulleys, some of the back gears, basic structure of the headstock (where bearings would be), handles, buttons, motor physical size and mounting specs (no longer have dual speed). These are areas where there is likely more compatibility.

Note: I recommend the Eisen (WinHo) operations manual if you have one of these lathes. Eisen will provide at a reasonable price. Check out the Eisen Machinery web site and compare specs. If your Osama, Millport, Victor, Kingston, etc. share basic specs vs the new machines, this may be the best place to go for replacement parts.

Standard Eisen Parts Compatibility

Wipers for tailstock (Eisen Part Numbers 31/32, 38/39, are compatible - 2 sets of each)
Wipers for carriage (Eisen Part Numbers 11/12, 20/21, are compatible - 2 sets of each)
Note Cross-Slide wiper (Eisen Part Numbers 47/48 is NOT compatible)

Band Brake for Motor (Eisen Part Number 24, is NOT compatible. About 1.5" short. Designed for a smaller rotor. In a pinch you might be able to cut the bolt off short and connect another threaded section. Be sure to ensure there is no metal to metal contact from band to Rotor - the brake material is a little shorter.).

Ball Oilers (Eisen Part Numbers 55/56/57 ... if you ask for the ball oilers they will provide them) are compatible. These are 6mm but have the flange on top and won't fall through the hole. The Eisen versions are also compatible with the nozzles on most/all of the Goldenrod oilers (seals and properly injects the oil - nice cuz ball oilers generally suck).

Belts: Gates Hi-Power II B68's fit fine. I have 3.25" and 7" pulleys. The old belts were Gates Hi-Power II B70's that were too long.

Accessory Eisen Parts Compatibility

Eisen accessory - micrometer carriage stop is compatible. And quite nice - heavy, robust, 1.5" travel and has a nice .001" scale with lock. Pricey.

Note on Design Changes for New Model Eisen 1640/1740 Lathes (and potential for incompatibility)

The lathes made to this design pattern share many component parts that may be compatible with new Eisen (WinHo) lathes. Most/all of these legacy companies in Taiwan, whether builders or branded exporters, are out of business. Eisen still imports lathes following this design pattern but designs have continued to evolve. As an example the Eisen 1640/1740 share most of the specs with these older machines. The 1740 has a D1-8 spindle, over 3" spindle bore and 10hp motor standard.

Here are a few places where Eisen has made changes that may effect compatibility:
  • The cross slide has been "robustified". Dimensions have changed (taller and wider with a more robust dovetail). The compound doesn't look bigger but YMMV
  • The spindle has a separate leveling/balancing function.
  • Headstock gear ratios updated (speeds from 20-2000 so gears/parts compatibility might be sketchy).
  • Current models don't have dual speed motors - use a separate high/low gear in headstock. Later model Shen Jeys used this design as well.
  • One-shot lube mechanism has moved to the opposite side of the bed (out of the line of fire of chips).
  • Tail stock has 6" of quill travel (vs 5" on the 1983 model)
  • Brake rotor (integrated with drive belt pulleys) is smaller.

Note: this list will be updated. Please submit any items you've found

Last edited:
Has the Victor compatibility thread been started yet? I'm happy to share what I've learned since owning my early model 1630, quite a few differences from the same model just a few years later.

Has the Victor compatibility thread been started yet? I'm happy to share what I've learned since owning my early model 1630, quite a few differences from the same model just a few years later.
Feel free to jump right in. That's the purpose of this thread. The basic design is solid and shared by a few brand names/manufacturers. I sure would feel better buying something used that had good support from a community like ours.

Fit my 1760 osama. Apparently these guys are like those Freedom auditors and dont answer any questions lol. I emailed them like three times. Thry never responded.

Wipers seem decent quality. I think it cost me over 100 bucks for a complete set, felt expensive for what it was. Which is basically a 3D printed flexible plastic type material and if it wasn't so specialized and specific item, would probably cost a couple bucks. In the end I'd probably buy it again because it's hard to find any other parts for these machines. And I may have spent more just looking for something to fit.

Edit: after about 45 minutes of running it I'm starting to realize that they have very little resiliency to heat. A few hot chips hit it and have embedded themselves into the plastic. I'm probably wouldn't recommend them at this time.

Last edited:

Fit my 1760 osama. Apparently these guys are like those Freedom auditors and dont answer any questions lol. I emailed them like three times. Thry never responded.

Wipers seem decent quality. I think it cost me over 100 bucks for a complete set, felt expensive for what it was. Which is basically a 3D printed flexible plastic type material and if it wasn't so specialized and specific item, would probably cost a couple bucks. In the end I'd probably buy it again because it's hard to find any other parts for these machines. And I may have spent more just looking for something to fit.

Edit: after about 45 minutes of running it I'm starting to realize that they have very little resiliency to heat. A few hot chips hit it and have embedded themselves into the plastic. I'm probably wouldn't recommend them at this time.
The Eisen versions are quite robust Have had no issues.

Yeah that's the same company that doesn't have it listed on the website. I couldn't just get on the website and order. So I emailed and called, and they told me that my machine was not compatible and then stopped answering my questions. Sent 3 follow up emails and kept trying to tell him that I had a Victor clone and to just send me Victor parts and they never responded.

"
Please go to Mighty( OSAMAR is their brand).
Terry"

"We're confused about what you need.Osamar or Victor or Taichung Machinery Works.

Please send a picture of the front view, and a picture of Headstock & Gear Box.

Terry

Eisen Machinery, Inc"

Honestly not used to this level of customer service. Seems like most of these people could care less if you buy off them or not.

Last edited:
My experience...they at least historically prided themselves on supporting older machine tools. My experience was very positive. I purchased the catalog for the WinHo lathes (17", 19", 21"). Extremely close match to the Victor/Osama (Shen Jay). I had the part numbers for the wipers and just ordered them. Provided the part numbers above for clarity. Try that maybe?

Back