Shop Crane Modification Advice

I actually drew the picture for the crane operator and engineer but wanted to check in here as well.

Fortunately I'm not lifting anything like a Bridgeport, just a ~500 lbs mill and ~600 lbs lathe
You’ll be fine with the hydraulic ram for this. At least I was.

Slow and careful of course.

I worked conferences for many years so spent lots of time underneath heavy stuff suspended from the ceilings.

Much respect to professional riggers.

John

I have used the Harbor Freight unit to move my Acra mill. The only short comings are the wheels.

I’ve included some pictures of the small jib cranes I’ve built. The smaller one can lift 500-600 lbs. fully extended. The larger one can lift about 1,500 lbs. The larger one started out as an engine hoist, but little remains that hasn’t been modified or strengthened. One thing that I do recommend is that I used a hoist with a load brake and a large wheel which I made. This allows you to lift or lower a load without fiddling with a ratchet.

The yellow one also has a boom extension which is a hand wheel and an internal acme screw which means it can extend or retract the boom even when fully loaded. It has a 610 lb. counterweight which was a 3” chunk of steel I cut in half and welded together. It sits on a 1.5” thick piece of steel with a 1.5” back bulkhead.

The thing you have to be careful of is the more you design them to lift, the heavier they get and the harder they become to move. I’ve refined these two over many years and they seem to work well.

I also have a large gantry on tracks and a forklift. And even so, I find these two lifts very useful and versatile.

View attachment 472526 View attachment 472527 View attachment 472528 View attachment 472529

Here is a picture of the orange lift loading a 610 lb. block of steel onto a radial drill to be drilled and tapped.

View attachment 472530
These are awesome and very inspiring.

Don't go modifying like things like cranes, even small ones. There's so many forces that we don't fully understand, material stress calculations, dynamic forces to estimate, welds have to be perfect, new bolt holes make stress risers, load ratings to calculate for the new stuff, you're gonna get us all killed... When the folks at Harbor Freight designed these things.... Oh wait. Never mind. Carry on. :cool:

Don't sweat what you saw on the Manatowok crane. The lifting cable(s) probably didn't go over the back of that anyway. The extra framework back there is more about keeping the boom raised properly. The lifting cables "may" go over the back in some models, but it's incidental. That aspect is not about the lifting cables. It's sometimes "involved" in that, but lifting cables are definitely not a reason for that.

"Everybody" is putting the winch on the boom? No. Most of the eight quadrillion (or however many) people have bought engine cranes, since their invention, are happy to use them just as they are.

A few folks indeed do modify theirs to have a winch. The same winch boom (essentially, same factories using common parts) is installed on a different base, meant to be mounted on trailers or pickup trucks. Those can be factory equipped with winches if you get a fancy one. In that case, the winch is not because the bottle jack doesn't work, it's because it allows you to set something down nearer or farther from the base than where you picked it up. The engine crane WILL bring the hook closer to the rear of it, and you WILL be using every inch of it's lift by the time you're done. You will fight with that issue (And probably win... It's just a geometry puzzle that's been solved a lot of times by a lot of people). But the winch will not help with that. The bottle jack that raises it is just not that hard to run. And it's not slow like a bottle car jack, they move along a LOT faster than that. Not lightning fast, but you're not gonna need to pack a lunch I do use them at work (for just about everything), and have never had the need. I do modify the hook. For the task you have at hand, you're going to need at least two people anyhow. You'll probably be more than fine by just shortening the chain.

Here's a mod I'd do- Take the hook/chain out, hold the chain in two fingers by the first proper link of chain. The one that hooks to the big ring. Let the rest of the chain fall down. Take that first link, stuff it back up in the slot and put the bolt through it. Bam. Five inches more lift height.

Here's another mod I'd do. If you're going to use this more than twice a year, find a eight inch piece of half inch black pipe, ten inch if you buy a nipple, so you can cut the threads off, (or anything about that diameter, it doesn't even need to be stout. Grind a slot in it so you can catch the "T" bolt that lowers/locks the jack(ram). Bam. Overdrive transmission. Seriously Do that.

Here's a third mod I'd do. Take a piece of one and a half or two inch PVC pipe that's six inches shorter than the original handle. Whatever it'll fit in. Zip tie it to one of the angled support slats that hold the back of the hoist upright. If you're lucky it'll be able to sit on top of the "rear wheel beam", or if not, stick a cap on it. Store the factory handle in there so you won't use it much once you've made the other one.. The short one doesn't protrude so much, and so can live in the jack. Bam. Onboard tool storage...

Ten minutes of work, twenty bucks if you bought the most expensive stuff you could find, (could be almost zero if you keep stuff kicking around) and you can run your hoist more efficiently and with less effort than any of the "modded" ones that the YouTube algorythm feels are watchworthy.
This sounds like the route I'll take, thanks.

Back