Shop Math = Trigonometry or Bust

DavidR8’s post reminded me of my own father...he only finished high school, and somehow became a machinist at Hickham field in Hawaii and eventually a toolmaker. I remember him teaching me logarithms using tables, and how to extract square roots by hand when I was in 6th grade. I suppose all good machinists in those days needed to know some of these things, but I am impressed with his ability to use and explain them. They say you don’t understand something until you try to teach it to another.

It's strange, my dad was a Navy pilot, had a few degrees, one being in math. He was stationed in Washington DC at the bureau of naval weapons designing torpedoes, and underwater mines, and I struggle immensely with math. I feel unbright now:grin:, but I made it this far, Macgyvering my way along.

Aukai,
It's interesting how we evolve from our parents. My dad was brilliant in math. He ended up in business as a Ford dealer but he never forgot anything when it came to math. He would help my brother and I (my brother is very good in math) and I would watch in awe as he rattled off formulas and equations from his High School days.
On the other hand, he didn't know which way to turn the screw driver. he would break the lawn mower and I would fix it at a young age.
He would get a kick out of his mechanic son.

Back