Shortening Magnescale

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Sony Magnescale LA10. One of the scales is 53" long. It is a SR50-125A.
I need to shorten it to 16". I have heard something regarding the magnetic rod being under tension.
Has anyone here successfully shortened a SR50 Magnescale?

If no one is familiar with shortening one of these, does anyone know of a person or company that provides this kind of service?

If that is a glass scale, then there is no real easy way to cut them down. No one that I know of has that service, as the price would exceed the cost of a new scale.

its not a glass scale. Its a magnetic scale.

I know what I would do--if I couldn't use it as is I would cut it to fit. But I'm a hack sometimes.
DRO PROs has a video showing how to cut their scales, don't know if yours would be the same but might help.
Here's a link

If that is a glass scale, then there is no real easy way to cut them down. No one that I know of has that service, as the price would exceed the cost of a new scale.

I have to disagree on that, a glass scale is quite easy to cut to length , normally the end is glued with silicone, it's easy to remove, then mill the aluminium part, make a scratch in the glass part, I used a diamond cutter in a Dremel, and simply break it, clean the glass scale with Isopropyl alcohol, glue the ends back on with silicone, and Bob's your uncle.
About the original question, sorry I dont know how to shorten a Sony magnetic scale

Back