Sieg C3 Headstock Alignment

ESzczesniak

Registered
Registered
I've fairly new to metal machining. Almost 2 months ago I got a Sieg C3 7x14. I made a few simple projects, but am trying to pause and tune/align the late going forward. I've done a handful of basic housekeeping adjusting the gibs, backlash, etc.

Next on my agenda was check the head stock alignment to the ways. I'm using the Rollie Dad's method of measuring and am finding 0.00275" horizontal misalignment over 5 inches using a MT3 taper bar in the spindle.

Does anyone have experience adjust the headstock? It looks like this is keyed with V-channel and held over the ways with M8 screws at each corner. These seem awfully burried. Is the best way to get to them to take the motor out?

And it looks like the only way to adjust would be with shims? I've read general advice to be really sure you need to adjust the head stock before you adjust it. I can put a MT3 to MT2 bar in to my tailstock and have virtually 0 variance from headstock end to tail stock end. But if I leave it this way, the tail stock doesn't drill centered. It hits slight away from me in the center line.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I had to adjust the headstock on my mini lathe. Shimming is the only way and it's a pain but worth it! RDM is my preferred method also, works every time and it's free.

I used RDM and shims on my 7x12. I had removed the head to replace the bearings so it was a no-brainer to work on the HS alignment as part of the re-assembly. Now I need to adjust my tailstock -- I recently turned a ~8" long rod, using a live center in the TS to support it, and got about .004" taper over that distance.

Back