Silver Soldering Bandsaw Blades

I made one of those brackets and have used silver solder but have found that gas welding the joint
with a torch and mild steel holds up better. One has to anneal the joint after welding and grinding for a lasting repair.

Ignorance is bliss, read I should be annealing the joints after soldering so I started doing it. I'd had very few failures to that point, after annealing the joints failed quickly. Think bringing the metal to a straw colour was hot enough to affect the silver solder. Quit annealing and I quit having failures.
Greg

Ignorance is bliss, read I should be annealing the joints after soldering so I started doing it. I'd had very few failures to that point, after annealing the joints failed quickly. Think bringing the metal to a straw colour was hot enough to affect the silver solder. Quit annealing and I quit having failures.
Greg

I have no idea about annealing silver solders. Just to clarify, I am referring to joining the band blade (welding) with mild steel rod
and annealing after that. Maybe someone else on here will chime in...

I never anneal silver soldered blades. Just let them cool naturally and they are annealed.

I don't claim to be an expert on SS blades, but I have done a few. After cooling down naturally, my blade at the joint area where it was heated is very bendable and elsewhere it is typical "springy" and hard. I presumed it has been annealed. During the process, it comes close to a dull red.

Here's my version of a blade jig made from 3/8 X 4" angle iron. Brazing metal companies have very good primers on using their products.

IMG_1573.JPG

IF YOU LET YOUR JOINT COOL SLOWLY,YOU MAY NOT NEED TO ANNEAL. BUT,TO ENSURE THAT THE SCARFED JOINT DID NOT PRODUCE A THICK SPOT IN THE BLADE,I SQUEEZED IT SHUT (FOR ASSURANCE) WITH PLIERS. THAT COOLED THE JOINT VERY QUICKLY,WHICH MAKES THE STEEL BRITTLE. SO,I SANDED THE METAL BRIGHT AT THE JOINT AND RE HEATED TO BLUE. THIS GAVE A SPRING TEMPER AND WAS MUCH BELOW THE MELTING POINT OF THE SILVER SOLDER.

SORRY,I JUST SAW THAT MY WIFE LEFT THE CAPS LOCKED ON.

Back