Simple repair & Fighting Inflation...

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
We had a heavy rain here a few days ago. A bit of water seeped into the corner of the basement wetting a bit of carpet. I mopped up what I could but it was
still damp so let the dehumidifier take care of it as as well as running a ceiling fan. The old dehumidifier was having trouble spooling up the fan so this morning
I decided to look into it. The motor shaft was worn significantly on one side of the shaft indicating the fan was out of balance. Anyhow not wanting to
replace the dehumidifier, I made up a new shaft out of an old piece of .312 motor shaft that I had saved. It was quite simple as all I had to do was cut off a half
inch off the new shaft and mill a flat to fit the fan blade. It's nice to have tools to make the job an easy fix.

I did make an attempt to balance the fan blade so will see how long it lasts. In the meantime, I will be saving a couple more motor shafts just in case
I need another. The caliper indicated that the shaft as .015 wear on the front bushing surface! So in the mean time I get to keep my deflated cash
for something else. :encourage:

P1030657.JPGP1030656.JPGP1030653.JPG

Attachments

• P1030658.JPG
    P1030658.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 22
Nice fix ! Remember this ? :)

A great repair. I have fixed the fan motors on both the bathroom exhaust unit and dehumidifier by simply relubing the bearings. The manufacturers use oil filled bronze bearings and the lube gums up after several years of use. The relube job works for a year or two. I hadn't thought about rebuilding the motor shaft.

Your machine sure has that 70s look- is it really that old?
I guess it could be that old. It's been with me for many years and hasn't failed until now. I would guess the refrigerant
is no longer available for this unit.

Next to lube is the squirrel cage blower for the furnace. It's been four years and still running smoothly.
The oil I used last was military aviation turbine oil so I know it's good stuff after that long. I have kept the
blower running in fine condition since it was installed in the late 80's.

I love to see saves like that, home projects such as the motor shaft repair lets you use many tools and amachines in the shop.
Did you also replace the bushing(s) or was it not needed?

Back