Simple Shaft

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Simple cash job this morning. A shaft for a diverter gate. 1 1/2" diameter 1045 steel.

• cut to length
  • face both ends
  • 3/8" key-way each end 2" long
Simple but a bit of a challenge for my small equipment. In my little basement shop.

An enjoyable couple of hours in the shop.

20210213_100735[1].jpg

Is that an RF-45 style mill? That's what I have and it took me a few months to get the courage to go beyond plastic and aluminum. When I did, I was pleasantly surprised what the right end mill, feed and speed could accomplish with such a small mill. I no longer fear steel.

Made a few bucks to help keep the lights on as well I hope!!

That's the way to do these type of jobs, cash. No bid, no quote, no invoice, no receipt :grin:

John

The U bolts I made a few weeks back landed me an order for 10 of them!!
Happy camper!!

Attachments

• DSCN8253.JPG
    DSCN8253.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 26
I always liked this kind of bread and butter work. Nothing fancy, just clean and nicely finished. Did you center-drill the ends in case someone needs to put a puller on it in the future?

Is that an RF-45 style mill? That's what I have and it took me a few months to get the courage to go beyond plastic and aluminum. When I did, I was pleasantly surprised what the right end mill, feed and speed could accomplish with such a small mill. I no longer fear steel.
Yes Reddinr Its a Wrong Fu. Square column , light weight mill. I went easy on her , .050 depth of cut with the 3/8" end mill.
Made a few bucks to help keep the lights on as well I hope!!
Enough to buy end mills, tooling, etc. NOT a get rich quick scheme, just a bit of fun.
I always liked this kind of bread and butter work. Nothing fancy, just clean and nicely finished. Did you center-drill the ends in case someone needs to put a puller on it in the future?
There was no centre drill on the drawing so no. Then again i'm the draftsman so....

Thanks for looking and commenting, liking guys

That's the way to do these type of jobs, cash. No bid, no quote, no invoice, no receipt :grin:

John
It's also a good idea not to talk about the financing aspect of these jobs on the internet. You wouldn't want to be sitting across a desk from an IRS agent waving a copy of this thread.

My original post said "cash job". I should have said "paying job". Taxes will be charged and remitted. Its one of life's certainties:rolleyes:

Back