Slot Blocks?

jamby

Registered
Registered
Hey

Back in the days before carbide inserts, we used flat ground slabs of high carbon steel that fit into the T-slots of a bridgeport mill to align fixtures or material on the mill table. Have they vanished from the earth or been renamed/replaced??
Your had to tap them in with a hammer and pry them out but I sure would like a set of the small (2 x 3-1/2) blocks.

Jim

Can probably use 9/16" dowel pins for a standard Bridgeport table, for a quick solution

Edit, rather 5/8". Whatever pin fits your mill table slot

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of dowel pins in a small box that I have used for years on Bridgeports for aligning stuff.

Saw this thread yesterday morning.
Never saw this technique before. Certainly isn't in the texts I read.
Was asked to get a prototype tool out last night for the local auto shop.
Did a table set up using this technique. Saved me all kinds of time.

Thank you!!
Daryl
MN

Yupp, me too. Taught many eons ago to keep a few sets of them in my tool box.,Mr Montgomery our tool and die shop teacher gave us all in the shop tips and other projects to use thru our lifetimes.

I'm eager about the possibility of hearing more about table set up tips!

Daryl
MN

sounds similar to the small spacer under my vice that helps set the alignment for the vice on the table. They were on the swivel base and when I took the swivel base off I notice they can be put on the vice alone. I then found that the vice was only off a few thousands and was easy to dial in true the x axis.

Back