Slow moving hydraulic motor?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am trying to make a slow-moving (@10 rpm) rotary water-powered motor. I have about 1000 psi water pressure that goes through a couple of orifices and has reasonable flow. It needs to turn slowly. The torque requirements are minimal but it needs to start up on its own once the pressure is applied. The maximum diameter would be 2".Any suggestions on what might make this work? Or better yet , does somebody already make one? ;)
Randy

What comes to mind is a self moving sprinkler. I have acouple oldies both tractors one John Deere and one international harvester. They run off city pressure 15-30psi and go from very slow to slow. All done with gear reduction. What’s the application?

You can use a variable restricted fitting and adjust to your liking

All farm size traveling irrigators have one, but they run on 50 - 150 PSI.

My big traveler has a six inch diameter turbine that will run from 50 to maybe 500 RPM based on the amount of water deflected to run through it, then geared down to one revolution per hour. LOTS of torque here, you need one microscopic compared to this. With 1000 psi, the turbine could be very small. Id suggest the turbine on a worm to a large gear for 100:1 reduction on the first step down.

I also have a small traveler - football field size. It uses a little piston that moves back and forth, just bleeds a tiny amount of water off the main line. very simple device that will cycle on 50 psi. runs at maybe 2 to 10 cycles a minute. You could build a device that basically works like an old time steam engine based on this concept.

Just ideas for you.

They make miniature and micro sized hydraulic motors, but their design relies on the hydraulic oil for lubrication. Maybe something along that line but with components suitable for water lube.

Thanks guys, but the pressure available is @1000psi, which complicates things greatly. I only have the high-pressure water as a power source. The flow restrictor might help. I will see what I can work out

Back