Small Boring Head

Makintrax73

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Made a small boring head for my mill/drill based on maching notes by Dean Williams, and plans by Steve Campbell. I do not know these gentlemen, but wish to give credit where due for the work they did.

The machining notes: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/boring/boring.html

The plans: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/boring/boringhead.pdf
‐----------------

I won't bore you with the details of machining the boring head, except maybe point out some changes. The photos and notes at the website, along with plans provide plenty of detail. Mine needs some refinement and polishing, but works quite well otherwise.

20240426_104138.jpg

20240426_104523.jpg

----------------

I do want to add what I used to scribe the dial because I found a website with an online tool that makes custom degree wheels very easy to make.

20240423_091423.jpg

20240423_091428.jpg

The divider is fairly self explanatory. A piece of AL plate turned to 5" diameter with a Joe Pie expanding mandrel attached to the center so it fits in the back of the spindle bore. A chunk of AL fixtures to the outside of the back of the spindle and then down to the stud where the stud gear usually resides. This also has a wire pointer. Long story short I was easily able to scribed 25 equal divisions and lock the spindle tightly in place with the socket head cap screw shown. This setup was a fairly easy morning project, and allows you to scribe divisions easily without a dividing head. I expect you could probably use something like it for cutting gears (the hard way!)

The actual dial is simply printed on computer paper. This website provides all the tools you need to make a fully customizable protractor, with custom divisions (50 in my case, only needed 25), and custom size. VERY VERY USEFUL:

After that I just took some Super77 spray contact cement and stuck it on there.

My notes:

- The original design is for a Taig Mill. I made mine with a solid 7/8" stub shaft to go in my largest R8 collet. I find this to be the most convenient way to get tools into a mill drill.

- I used a piece of 1 5/8" 1144 stressproof rod to make the majority of the tool. I kept mine at 1.6" finished size, and LUCKY I did.

- I changed mine to use 1/2" boring bars. This is the clincher, I did not pay enough attention to spacing the holes. The original design only has about .450" of range. My tool holes were spaced .563" leave a BIG gap in the range. Luckily I was able to modify it by changing the pusher block, and extending the slot in order to get .580" of useful range.

PAYING IT FORWARD:

THIS DESIGN USES A 6-40 CAPHEAD AS A LEADSCREW TO GET .025" PER TURN. THESE SCREWS ARE VERY HARD TO FIND. I HAD TO ORDER A BOX OF 25 FROM MCMASTER TO GET 1 SCREW. IF YOU TRULY WANT TO MAKE ONE OF THESE (ON YOUR HONOR) I WILL MAIL YOU A 6-40-1.25" SCREW FROM MY SUPPLY. IF ANYONE DOES THIS DM ME A MAILING ADDRESS AND I'LL PUT ONE IN AN ENVELOPE FOR YOU AND SEND IT OUT (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION AT ANY TIME!! LOL).

Last edited:
Made a small boring head for my mill/drill based on maching notes by Dean Williams, and plans by Steve Campbell. I do not know these gentlemen, but wish to give credit where due for the work they did.

The machining notes: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/boring/boring.html

The plans: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/boring/boringhead.pdf
‐----------------

I won't bore you with the details of machining the boring head, except maybe point out some changes. The photos and notes at the website, along with plans provide plenty of detail. Mine needs some refinement and polishing, but works quite well otherwise.

View attachment 487958

View attachment 487959

----------------

I do want to add what I used to scribe the dial because I found a website with an online tool that makes custom degree wheels very easy to make.

View attachment 487960

View attachment 487961

The divider is fairly self explanatory. A piece of AL plate turned to 5" diameter with a Joe Pie expanding mandrel attached to the center so it fits in the back of the spindle bore. A chunk of AL fixtures to the outside of the back of the spindle and then down to the stud where the stud gear usually resides. This also has a wire pointer. Long story short I was easily able to scribed 25 equal divisions and lock the spindle tightly in place with the socket head cap screw shown. This setup was a fairly easy morning project, and allows you to scribe divisions easily without a dividing head. I expect you could probably use something like it for cutting gears (the hard way!)

The actual dial is simply printed on computer paper. This website provides all the tools you need to make a fully customizable protractor, with custom divisions (50 in my case, only needed 25), and custom size. VERY VERY USEFUL:

After that I just took some Super77 spray contact cement and stuck it on there.

My notes:

- The original design is for a Taig Mill. I made mine with a solid 7/8" stub shaft to go in my largest R8 collet. I find this to be the most convenient way to get tools into a mill drill.

- I used a piece of 1 5/8" 1144 stressproof rod to make the majority of the tool. I kept mine at 1.6" finished size, and LUCKY I did.

- I changed mine to use 1/2" boring bars. This is the clincher, I did not pay enough attention to spacing the holes. The original design only has about .450" of range. My tool holes were spaced .563" leave a BIG gap in the range. Luckily I was able to modify it by changing the pusher block, and extending the slot in order to get .580" of useful range.

PAYING IT FORWARD:

THIS DESIGN USES A 6-40 CAPHEAD AS A LEADSCREW TO GET .025" PER TURN. THESE SCREWS ARE VERY HARD TO FIND. I HAD TO ORDER A BOX OF 25 FROM MCMASTER TO GET 1 SCREW. IF YOU TRULY WANT TO MAKE ONE OF THESE (ON YOUR HONOR) I WILL MAIL YOU A 6-40-1.25" SCREW FROM MY SUPPLY. IF ANYONE DOES THIS DM ME A MAILING ADDRESS AND I'LL PUT ONE IN AN ENVELOPE FOR YOU AND SEND IT OUT (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION AT ANY TIME!! LOL).
Very cool. I love the degree wheel . I may steal that idea. I need a way to do bolt circles and things like this without having a dividing head. Would love to see visually how you made it and how you have it attached to the lathe.

Very cool. I love the degree wheel . I may steal that idea. I need a way to do bolt circles and things like this without having a dividing head. Would love to see visually how you made it and how you have it attached to the lathe.

Sure, no problem. First I'd recommend watching this Joe Pie video, as he goes into exactly how a blind hole expanding mandrel is made, along with other types:

I think these pictures will show how it was made. I haven't pushed it hard, but in general it seems solid enough for most tasks. I doubt it would hold if you put much rotational torque on it. But for drilling or marking I'm sure it is quite up to the job.

Parts consist of a locking arm to lock and unlock the spindle, a wheel, and the expanding mandrel.
20240426_160627.jpg

20240426_161319.jpg

The banjo is moved out of the way, and the stud gear removed
20240426_161423.jpg

locking arm fits up to the outside of the back of the spindle. The stud gear stud and nut lock the arm in place at the bottom
20240426_161528.jpg

The mandrel goes inside the spindle and is locked to the spindle by expansion. Just tighten the cap screw and it is locked tight. Then to turn to the next position it is locked and unlocked by clamping the outside of the spindle via the locking arm.
20240426_161653.jpg

The free software at blocklayer.com is used to create a custom degree wheel depending on the number of divisions and size. At the bottom of this page is a create pdf function so you can print to the dimensions of your particular degree wheel. As I said some Super77 contact cement sticks it to the wheel.
20240426_162307.jpg

Hope that helps. No plans used. Just cut and try and cut again. I'm sure the rough looking outcome shows that, but it works fine!

Last edited:
Looks great in my opinion. Thank you for sharing that with me. I’m definitely gonna make one

Nice boring head.
I used the same blocklayer tool to print my divisions wheels. Mine has 50 divisions on one side and 100 on the other side.
IMG_2030.jpeg

Very nice job on the boring head! I did a similar thing to make a new dial for the down feed on my Clausing mill.

DE7E7CE3-4CC0-4FEC-9405-7938D67F904B.jpegB703265B-0930-4852-8C5A-709CEFCE174B.jpeg

Thanks for the kind compliments guys. The test cuts have turned out ok, the head works well. These cheap Chinese boring bars are the worst junk ever. Way off center unless negative rake is twisted in, and the surface finish isn't the greatest as a result. One thing leads to another, and it looks like this side project will produce another....making custom hss tooled bars with reasonable geometry.

20240427_093739.jpg

Back