Small face mill using tangential cutter

I forgot, As the Outward angled Tool bit protrudes beyond the radius of the flywheel, enabling the cutter to cut unhindered beyond the radius.

One of the advantages of using OpenSCAD is that it makes it relatively easy to change the model. In the case of changing the tool bit angle, I just had to change "-12" to "12" in a command that rotates objects. So:

face mill B3.png

Changing the angle does provide more "meat" for a set screw. This angle also makes more sense to me since it should direct chips outward. Good one!

I also was an electrical engineer (actually, probably always will be). But in my line of work -- Failure Analysis -- I often found it necessary to improvise or make my own tools. The market is so small that few companies make stuff for the discipline, or, if they do, it's very expensive. So there was a lot of motivation to become a toolmaker.

That is interesting. I mostly worked on RF Design of Filters and Antennas in the very early days of what became Cellular Radio. Today, the antennas are a direct extension of a fibre optic cable and DC power. What used to house the Radio equipment and network communications is now just power supplies and the fibre optics is 100% passive back to the Central Office.
Like you I found during my time any specialized tooling was hacked together by "Butchers" on an as required basis. The excuse given at the time well it is only a one of. I disagreed as there is no such thing as a single "One Of" circumstance. I built jigs for everything I made. Even drilling templates I found were repeated many, many times over.
Back to the Fly Cutter.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head, with the tool facing outwards, the chips are moved away from the work piece and carry the heat with it. I tried the concept put forward by Mike where he has the tool bit facing into the work and the chips tended to stay close in onto the work, increasing the heat at the cutting point.
Turing the cutter outwards as Gary illustrates in his Diamond Tool Holder FlyCutter approach allows for the chips to be spun off in an outward direction. In this case a containment or perhaps a suction means of clearing the chips in a controlled manner.
Chip control is a concern on the Mill, as it does have a tendency to fling chips every where.
Different issue.
Now that we have a working drawing (illustration)
I am thinking, (That may be debatable)
Cut down the middle of the implied Tool Bit.
The drilled hole for round Tool Bits
A milled channel on either side for the use of Square tool Bits
From Gary Sneesby (Eccentric Engineering) us a "Vee" rather than a square to enable tighter clamping
I would attempt to have two holding screws
First one near the tip above the protruding cutter
Second further back and below the cutter
Using the downward defection of the tool bit to find the optimal place meant of the two screws.
There should be, as Gary Suggests no need for a back stop adjustment approach, if the clamp is designed optimally to hold the tool bit in place.
I have west to experience any push back using the Diamond Tool Holder on my lathe as some claim.
Taking the Diamond Tool Holder clamp off reveals in is not just as simple as it appears on the outside.
One could use the Removable Clamp Piece from the Diamond Tool Holder, except the clamping screw would now be under the Flywheel.
In the Flywheel FlyCutter concept, My mind just does not want anything below the flywheel except the cutter.
There would be the, (however slight) an implied threat of a loose screw under the Flywheel.
OK it is time to here back from you on this interesting topic.

Back