Snow Day

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
No work for me today! Feels like when I was a boy hoping they would close school.

OK. So I got this little height gauge from e-bay sometime back. I want a layout line .125 high like in the picture. I can't make a line that low with the carbide scriber attached. What am I missing? Is there suppose to be another scriber for this gauge?

Not a big deal to just use the stainless I guess, but seems like there is something I should know. And I know you guys do!

Thanks in advance.
IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0654.JPG

Is it possible to turn the scriber over, and would the thickness of the bottom still be too big? Could work off your block. As I look at it, something seems amiss but I can't put my finger on it. Like the attachment IS upside down, maybe? Yes, you can just use the stainless for that.

Well, if turn the attachment over it still will not be zero because of the clamp bottom which is .105 thick. I've looked to see if there is another attachment that is suppose to come with this gauge but I haven't found anything. Kinda has me puzzled.

Chip

Couple of things you can do. Make a Z shaped scriber tip that bottoms out on the surface plate, or set your part on top of that 123 block and scribe a line .125 above it's top.

I just checked the Starrett catalog and they don't list another (useful) scriber attachment that'll reach the table. I guess they didn't bother since your height gauge isn't digital and can't zero on the surface plate anyway.

This won't fit yours but gives you the idea: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63326847

You can get creative and whittle one out where the height from the surface plate coincides with the zero on your gauge.

Back