Soldering brass

Yes, brazing does not stick to aluminum. But, be aware that aluminum melts at around 1221°F.

I think a smaller jewelers soldering pad inset into a board may be a better option?
I bought one to solder some bronze (unknown grade?) Very impressed how well it works even at brazing temperatures. Unfortunately the bronze will not 'take' solder no matter how well I clean and flux it (tried various solders and fluxes)

You all are encyclopedic! Thanks again for the input. I will let you know how it turns out, when I can get back to it.

I think a smaller jewelers soldering pad inset into a board may be a better option?
I bought one to solder some bronze (unknown grade?) Very impressed how well it works even at brazing temperatures. Unfortunately the bronze will not 'take' solder no matter how well I clean and flux it (tried various solders and fluxes)
Sorry to hear, but something about what you are doing is not happy. I have brazed bronze all my life with no problems (recollecting with senior moments). I have even brazed stainless steel using the proper flux. Was the bronze you have possibly oil impregnated? How do you know it was bronze? What kind of rod? What kind of flux? Heat source?

Sorry to be 'threadjacking jhmiii but some good advice and knowledge may be acquired for everyone?
Hi chips&more,
It is a very hard bronze, real hard to file or cut, drill or mill. It's not sintered type, still has what look like mill marks? Tried ordinary electrical solder first (with electrical flux on surfaces before heating) It just 'balled up' except for a very few area's about 1~2mm so I thought I just hadn't cleaned itproperly. Cleaned eveything up again and tried silver solder, no better., cleaned again, tried plumbing solder (no lead, high tin) I've tried electrical flux, plumbing flux and brazing flux, tried 'sweating' out any oil/contaminants, tried emery cloth, corundum for surface prep (plus brake cleaner to make sure there is no oil, etc) Tried propane torch, hotplate (stove, while wife was in work :D )
It's flat bar, about 3/8" thick, 1-1/2" wide, got it from a place called 'Skycraft', Winter Park central Fl. They used to get all sorts of military surplus, stuff scrapped from NASA, and usual 'Chineseum'. They seem to be better known for electrical components but have tons of 'stuff' Works very well to make new saddle clamps on ENCO mini lathe and made things much easier to adjust I haven't tried oxy/D.A. or welding it (been way too long since I welded brass or bronze) Can't think of anything else off hand.

PJ

Back