Source for steel C channel?

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need 2 two-foot lengths of 5" hot rolled steel C channel, 6.7#/foot. Can anyone recommend a vendor? I see that MetalsDepot has it and their shipping is not too bad. Is there somewhere better?

I always check McMaster Carr

I usually try my local welding shop first. They usually have drops close enough to the size I'm after that I can make work.

I get structural steel from a local heavy hardware vendor. The issue though is that they (used to) sell only full lengths. In my experience though it was often cheaper to buy a full length rather than buying a smaller quantity to fill my immediate need.

I would suggest contacting welding shops in your area as to where they get their steel. You may get lucky and find one who has a cutoff in their stock that they would sell you.

I ended up getting it from a local welding shop. But his price was about the same as MetalsDepot including shipping. Nevertheless, I was happy to give a local guy some business. CommercialMetalExchange was really expensive.

Glad you found it local. Another good place for C channel is shops that build custom trailers

Back