Sourcing a bushing for a K. O. Lee S718HG Surface Grinder Coolant Pump

Madhattan

Registered
Registered
I have a K. O. Lee grinder (photos below) with a beautiful brass coolant water pump that needs some love. The lower impeller shaft bushing needs to be replaced. As far as I can tell the original shaft was 0.50 in. and the tube the bearing seats in is 0.90 in +- a thou or two.

I am seeking advice both on what material to use for the bushing, and suppliers for such a bushing. Note: this bushing is submerged in coolant and the shaft is C360 Brass.

Can I even get a bushing the correct size (ID 0.50 in. x OD 0.90 in.)?

Thank you! - Will

My new to me K. O. Lee grinder...
20230719_122217.jpg

Awesome old brass water pump!
20230814_181351.jpg

Inspecting the pump assembly...
20230814_181245.jpg

Inspecting the old worn-out bearing...
20230814_181959.jpg

Measuring the bearing seat diameter...
20230814_182027.jpg

Wow, excellent. I also have a KO Lee, looks like the same model.
If I were you I would source some UHMW and make a bushing. It should last a very long time.
I have used UHMW in Gusher coolant pumps before with great results.

Short of making your own, this outfit offers quite a selection. I don't know if they have exactly what you need.

Looks like the shaft is in as rough of shape as the bushing. Do you have a lathe? If so, it should be easy enough to turn a bushing and make a new shaft or at least a piece of shaft to graft onto the upper part that is not worn.

If you don't have a lathe, you could probably turn a bushing from UHMW on a drill press or even a hand drill clamped in a vise using files while spinning work.

If you make your own bushing, make two, keep one for a spare so you don't have to do the setup again. Besides, a spare part on hand will keep the first one from ever wearing out. Murphy's law of oversupply.

Thank you all for the advice. I asked the maintenance folks in my building if I could raid their scrap bin and found some blocks of UHMW! I do have a lathe. I'll attempt to turn a bushing out of the UHMW and I'll turn a new shaft out of some C360 brass.

Most industrial coolant pumps do not have lower end bushings, they rely on the motor bearings to stabilize the impeller.

Most industrial coolant pumps do not have lower end bushings, they rely on the motor bearings to stabilize the impeller.
I agree with most don't as few do, as the fluid being pumped gets thicker it strains the motor bearings because as you stated most don't support the bottom end. So you have a long lever.
It's especially cool when they haven't cleaned the tank in who knows how long
I have found many that do and I have made UHMW bearings for many that didn't as it takes strain off old pumps, especially users pumping high sulfur oil.
I manage to work on all the b1st3d children of the machine tool world!
BUT it's never dull!
I must be sick because I frigging love it.

That pump looks similat to one that Grainger sells, I have had one on my Regal lathe for nearly 30 years with no issues.

.50 i.d. x .878 x .75 are you sure off the o.d.?

Attachments

• 16924797760448350801044772856438.jpg
    16924797760448350801044772856438.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 2
Back