Sourcing metal for projects $$$$

Don't know what to say SCLead. I have bought lots of stuff on Ebay and have only had a few problems. Less than 1%. All of which were resolved in my favor. As I said in my previous post I always buy with a credit card and always file the claim with my credit card. I am very careful buying anything online and do my homework. I routinely ask questions of sellers, look at how they respond to negative feedback and read all of the fine print in their listings.
I've had good luck on ebay, but I carefully look at photos, any fuzzy or poor angle shots I don't buy. Language of the seller-if they say excellent condition or mint and it isn't then ebay will fully support you if it arrives differently. I've had worse quality from Amazon.

This happens a surprising amount if you watch Amazon pricing. No idea what causes it. I bought a water pump for the same truck I mention above, OEM Toyota part through Amazon, for $19.85. Showed up and it's the factory original part, in Toyota box with Toyota logo stamped in the casting. Bragging to a friend, I sent the link just after buying and it had gone up to over $130 within minutes of placing my order. My price of $20 stuck and I never heard anything about it. I don't know if it's that they make errors in pricing, or if it's driven intentionally by something else, but if you keep a keen eye, you can catch unreasonably good deals from time to time. In my experience, you pretty much have to pounce to catch it, or it'll go away forever.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I shoulda bought the aluminum. I've lucked out several times with surprisingly low prices that changed right after I ordered, but as long as I've completed the order, Amazon honors the price. A few times I've just left stuff in the cart and gotten an email saying the price of an item in my cart had changed; that always seems to mean it went up. I usually work with scrap or home cast— if I'd realized how much that bar was worth, I would have snatched it up.

Nearest Metal supermarket is about 400 miles,
I never buy stuff on line.
Stopped by the scrapyard today, paid 1 dollar per lb, for aluminum and 2.75 for the brass. cost $29.50todays find.jpg

I bought a piece of 80-55-06 (Dura-Bar) 4" in diameter X 12" long.
The price was normally over $250 but Grainger's had it for $46. I bought it.
Now I have a piece of 4" cast iron. I don't know what I will do with it but I'll think of something.
My point, yes, there are deals out there on the Internet.
The 4130 seems like a deal.

Back