Spanner wrench

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I could use a spanner to turn the end nut on my logan 820 headstock i used a punch and hammer to remove it but would like to have a wrench It looks like a $ 48.00 item from logan and i don't want the pay that.
What are my options? can I make one ??? I asume it would have to be hardened and I don't think i can do that with my inexperience is there a way to fab a wrench and insert a hardened pin in the end of the spanner...by making the wrench out of CRS but make it thick for stregnth and able to retain a grade 8 screw for the pin ground down to appropeiate diameter for the hole?
or any other ideas... like a rental ???
Thanks
joe

hI Joe
May be this will do the job not expensive and adaptable . a auto oil filter wrench and smal bolt shaped to fit the hole or slot.

Regards BRIAN.

P1011086b.JPG

P1011086b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe

I have all sorts of pin spanner wrenches, both store bought and home made.

The home made ones are made from plate that is thick enough to be stable for the size and length but usually 1/4" thick material. Cut overall dimension and drill centre hole bore to size to get around shaft. Drill two holes in line with pin holes and you can either tap the holes and use threaded studs or press in pins of the right diameter.

I often use needle bearing rollers, but careful they can be a litlle too hard and snap, although I have rarely had that happen. Grade 8 bolt turned down will thead in and give a good solid pin as well.

Here are a selection of some of the pin and hook spanners I have. The most used one is shown by itself. I inherited it from my father in law many years ago and the threads are BSW whitworth as he brought it with him from England when he imigrated to Canada. I managed to snap one of the pins off, so drilled it out and pressed/red loctited in a needle bearing. Being that it is hinged, it is great as it will handle a wide variety of sizes. I have even turned it over and used the Socket heads for larger holes.

Walter

IMG_2343b.JPG IMG_2344b.JPG

IMG_2343b.JPG IMG_2344b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back