Spare parts for vintage lathes?

swirnoff

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas 10", circa 1940. I inherited it from my dad who got it from his uncle, and while it hasn't been used in 25 years, I'm bringing it back to life. My question is what components should I consider buying now, as spare parts, while they can still be found on places like ebay? I'm not talking about belts, but machined components.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I believe many of the parts are made out of Zamak, a zinc alloy, making them easy to break. I would look for replacement gears as they break or strip easily if abused.

The zamak half nuts typically wear, but unless you see "zinc pest" on any of the other zamak parts or gears you don't need
to run out and replace everything. Check the small tumbler reverse gears for sharp pointy teeth indicating wear.
There will be spares available for many years to come for these machines- they made so many

Last edited:
I have an Atlas 10", circa 1940. I inherited it from my dad who got it from his uncle, and while it hasn't been used in 25 years, I'm bringing it back to life. My question is what components should I consider buying now, as spare parts, while they can still be found on places like ebay? I'm not talking about belts, but machined components.

Thanks for your thoughts.
there are still so many parts available
is there a quick change gear box or gears? if gears, you may want to pick up the gears that get the most common use...
for 16,20, 18 tpi.
Maybe even the half nuts.

Thanks so much for the thoughts. One other question about gears. Is there any reason to consider 3d printed? I've seen posts of ABS gears and don't know if there's any worth in them.

Thanks so much for the thoughts. One other question about gears. Is there any reason to consider 3d printed? I've seen posts of ABS gears and don't know if there's any worth in them.
printing gears works fine.

Back