Speed handle for a 5C chuck.

oaklandish

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was my first real multi-machine project. Everything up until this one was either exclusively turning or milling/drilling. I plan to turn a new handle for the tool but for now it works perfectly fine. This was my first time every using a 5c chuck and I was actually surprised by the amount of turns it took to close the collet on the part. The factory T-handle needed to be put out to pasture.

I found this one on amazon that was designed for 6" milling vises. While perfectly suitable for testing clearances for the tool and my knuckles, something was telling me that this rev1 was not going to hold up to shop action...
IMG_7309.JPG

So instead of using some mystery bar stock I had laying around, I ordered some 3/4" 303 Hex bar from McMaster-Carr to expedite the process a bit.
IMG_7310.JPG

Cut to rough length:
IMG_7311.JPG

Turned down to final OD of the chuck closer and added a transition to the profile:
IMG_7312.JPG

These vise blocks are pretty awesome. I was easily able to index the square collet block precisely for milling each of the four sides of the closer profile:
IMG_7314.JPG

IMG_7313.JPG

Switched the part over the Hex block and added a chamfer to the wrench side of the part:
IMG_7315.JPG

Back into the lathe for a clean up with scotch-brite:
IMG_7317.JPG

SS Part is finished:
IMG_7319.JPG

Drilled and tapped for an allen grub screw and this thing is ready for action:
IMG_7320.JPG

Fit is perfect!
IMG_7324.JPG

One more thing....

IMG_7325.JPG

Last edited:
This was my first time every using a 5c chuck and I was actually surprised by the amount of turns it took to close the collet on the part. The factory T-handle needed to be put out to pasture.

This is one of the biggest complaints about these chucks. Some users make a driver that can be used with a cordless drill to speed things up.

Oh yeah, that's some nice work.

This is one of the biggest complaints about these chucks. Some users make a driver that can be used with a cordless drill to speed things up.

Oh yeah, that's some nice work.
Thank you!.

I had no idea how they worked until it showed up a couple of weeks ago. I don't have the clearance for a drawbar and I was not sure how much torque this needed to safely secure the workpiece so I hedged my bet and left the periscoping section for the hex wrench to grab.

Back