Spider for Logan spindle

DAHoyle

Registered
Registered
I have been wanting a spider on the end of the spindle for awhile. On occasion I have needed to cut threads on the end of some long 5/8 stock, and I have been resorting to wedging shop towels into the end of the spindle around the bar to keep it from whipping around. While that actually works pretty well, it just seemed sort of a hillbilly approach, so I started making chips on a better method, or at least one that looks more professional.

On a technical note, please ignore all the chatter in the bore. I could have taken the time to clean it up, but got tired of fighting a boring bar that had all the stiffness of a wet noodle, and it doesn't affect the use of the item. Might clean it up another day just because I don't like leaving something I know isn't the best I could do.

Attachments

• spider1.jpeg
    spider1.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 19
  • spider2.jpeg
    spider2.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 19
  • spider3.jpeg
    spider3.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 19
  • spider4.jpeg
    spider4.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 18
Looks great to me! Very convenient that your spindle is threaded, makes for an easy attachment. When I'm using stock fasteners as adjusting screws, I like to face off the bottom end of the screw so it snugs smoothly and doesn't leave marks as easily.

I made one of these for my craftsman. It also has a threaded collar that allowed the spider to thread onto the spindle. Mine has 4 bolts if I need to dial something in and 3 bolts if I am just trying to keep a shaft from whipping around. When you clean up the chatter marks you might want to consider adding the extra holes for 4 bolts.

IMG_3998.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG

Back