Spindle purchase decision

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just spent four days listening to a screaming Porter-Cable router that I use as a high speed spindle attached to my mill. It works well but I've decided that I just need a bit of peace and quiet. So I'm thinking of moving to a water cooled spindle. I want to buy it just the once so I want to avoid any poor quality products. I have questions though. Does anyone have experience with buying spindles and know the ins and outs? There seem to be quite a few "brands" but I don't know which are high quality and which are not.

What I think I need:
I think <=24000 RPM should be fine for my applications.
Probably something 2.2KW or so.
Low speed torque is not a determining factor for me. For applications under 3600 RPM, I'll use the mill spindle instead.
I don't know which is better for ER collets. ER20/25/32/11 etc. I know I want low run-out but don't know how to choose.

Usage:
I will be using mainly 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 end mills/ and various router bits.
Materials: Wood, plastics, phenolics and some aluminum.

Here is my present setup:

MillRouterSetup1.jpg

Intriguing... i haven't seen that but like the idea. Is the purpose just get high rpm for non-metal work? i may have to lift your idea.

Disclosure I have not used my suggested motor. I am a wood guy (so far with a new bench mill). In the past i have needed specific applications for small routers and have searched out some imports like this:
there are lots of variants, but the European made motors/machines are worth sourcing if it is to be used regularly or for precise work in my opinion. For the life of me i cant remember what they are generically called - spindles? Someone here will know. I've seen Mafell, Ruwi, Kress, Festool (their mini router and domino bodies) and a other versions.

My intended use was to build use-specific setups for the spindles and leave them set up. They are supposedly much more quite and and powerful for their size than a woodworking router. Seems like they should be found easily with some standard ER collet. At the scale you want to mill there will be more than enough power. The reason i haven't gone for it is i always end up using a cordless router go get the job done and move on. Then i don't have the time to go back and finesse a custom solution. One day i will. Or i'll just buy one to try mounting like you did to see what it can do.

I've used a Precise die grinding head as well as Dotco air grinders on the mills over the years . Just made up quill clamps for both and used for high speed heads . Both worked great . The Precise head was a 45,000 rpm and I could dial it down or up thru the variac . The Dotco was 100,000 rpm and just used an airflow valve . I have the one pictured below . Not mine , but mine will soon be on the chopping block .

Yes. The setup is most often used for wood but also for plastics, G10, mikarta and similar fiberboard. I've had good success with small aluminum parts too. The side of my mill is surprisingly parallel to the mill spindle. I thought I would have to shim but ended up not having to. The mount is just a big chunk of aluminum I had around with holes in it to reduce weight. Just drilled and tapped the head and bolted it on flat. The speed control is on the column to the right.

I'll look at the options provided above. I've seen these below \/ everywhere, made for CNC routers, small mills, etc. I just don't know the quality of various brands and types. (searched on "spindle motor"). From what I've read so far, the water cooled ones are very quiet vs air cooled. Some come with ATC capability but I don't need that for this application.
1701625934453.png

Back