Spindle Speed Read Out In Mach3

I should ask, what exactly are you connecting this to. The question is because of the output. Your original is NPN (sinking) output, as are to ones I suggested, but PNP (sourcing) is available also.

I am connecting into a Camtronics control unit which is based on a Gecko G540 drive. My objective is to get spindle RPM readout, readout only not control, in Mach3 so I can do CNC threading, G76 command.

TR:

Inductive Prox's like your original choice can be a a real biotch to get working correctly - Been there, done that - got the tee-shirt.
One challenge is that they can have significant hysteresis..

Please refer to page 96 to 99 in the catalog you linked to...
It says that the target should be a square, with sides 3 times the sensing distance for the sensor, and there should be no other metal within a similar distance.
Optimally, the target should swing 1/2 of the sensing distance from the face.

Your original prox. is a 8mm shielded, with a 8mm sensing distance. So it would take a big lump to make it work reliably, and you will have created a significant imbalance on your machine.

The sensor Mr.Dawson linked to has a 1.5mm sensing distance, so will work much better - but be aware that you need to get it dang close to the target!!
Also, a flat-head or hex-head screw would be a better target than the pan-head that you have, and it should stick 5mm beyond the edge of the pulley.
Make sure your mount is rigid, and can hold the required clearance!!

TR:

Inductive Prox's like your original choice can be a a real biotch to get working correctly - Been there, done that - got the tee-shirt.
One challenge is that they can have significant hysteresis..

Please refer to page 96 to 99 in the catalog you linked to...
It says that the target should be a square, with sides 3 times the sensing distance for the sensor, and there should be no other metal within a similar distance.
Optimally, the target should swing 1/2 of the sensing distance from the face.

Your original prox. is a 8mm shielded, with a 8mm sensing distance. So it would take a big lump to make it work reliably, and you will have created a significant imbalance on your machine.

The sensor Mr.Dawson linked to has a 1.5mm sensing distance, so will work much better - but be aware that you need to get it dang close to the target!!
Also, a flat-head or hex-head screw would be a better target than the pan-head that you have, and it should stick 5mm beyond the edge of the pulley.
Make sure your mount is rigid, and can hold the required clearance!!

Back