Splitting the VN 12 body in 3 parts

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Here is the ram head casting, main trunk and base.

Note on the base, I removed both indexing pins (they go in the small holes- the larger ones are for bolts). One of the pins I broke and need to replace.
I flipped the base and removed the two bottom drain plugs and one side drain plug to allow trapped water to leave.

018.gif 024.gif 037.gif 035.gif 020.gif 038.gif

Attachments

• 016.gif
    016.gif
    350.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be temped to take all that to a carwash, and using some citrus stripper, blast it all back to bare metal. Then using some high build primer, get it back to new with fresh epoxy paint. Looks like you have a great start on a restoration project, Nelson.

For stripper, I use NY grafitti remover, Motsenbocker's, it gets almost all the paint off- they sell it here at Home Depot.

Then I usually use Rustoleum Smoke Gray without a primer.

What brand of epoxy paint are you suggesting Tony? I would love to get some filling qualities.

Thanks,

Nelson

I've painted about 15 machines with Sherwin-Williams Tile-Clad High Solids Epoxy. It is a Polyamide Epoxy, with high viscosity, and fills well. It has a slow cure time, unless the ambient temp is too high. It's tough as nails. Commonly used in heavy industry for equipment. You won't find it at the consumer SW store, and maybe not even the professional house painters store.We have an industrial coating distributor for SW here, and even though they sell all the other stuff, there is enough heavy industry to justify the good stuff.

It's easy to spray, but remember, it's epoxy, and like all catalyzed coatings, has a limited pot life. Also, proper PPE is essential. On the plus side, they can custom mix colors.

Any new picture to post? I would love to see how this restration is comming along.

Back