Spray gun ?

I've shot Devilbiss, Sharpe, Binks, Sata. Own them all. I have to say, unless you are shooting high metallic BC/CC, those cheapy Harbor Freight guns are pretty good. I bought one to use and actually planned on just throwing it away after I was done because I didn't feel like dirtying up my Nice clean Sata HVLP guns. It shot so good that I cleaned it up real good and have used it several times. It shoots great. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to shoot high solid clear with it. I do agree that you SHOULD get a gun strictly for primer though. There is NOTHING worse that putting your final coat of whatever on and big gob of primer that you missed on cleanup comes going out in your finish coat. I usually shoot nothing but clear through one gun, high metallic BC with one gun, high solid BC with a gun and single stage with another. BUT, that was when I did it full time. Now, the only thing I shoot is my mouth off! Mike.

I like the cheap HF guns on sale they are like 20$ to me they are staple items usem up throw em out, I usually have three at a time I use one for for base coats one for clears and one for primer i rotate them as they have been used a couple times i then use them for primer
then toss em at 20 bucks thats a small price to ensure a good paint job, we do motorcuc;e refirb amd restoration. as good paint is not cheap the guns are

Thanks everyone for this thread. I just finished a mobile spray cabinet to get the smell out of the house and it is time to try something more than rattle cans. I had been wondering about the harbor freight gun but after reading this it looks like that is the way for me to start. Any gun can out preform me so its a good starting point.

Jeff

I have been using a $35.00 Asian DeVillbus copy for many years on delicate shaded guitar finishes. They atomize the transparent colored lacquer just as good as the Binks I used to have(It was stolen from me). Look at the pictures below. The finish was done with my cheap gun.

These are 2 different guitars. As you can see,the slightest sputtering or spitting would ruin the whole job,making it necessary to strip the whole guitar and start over. I have never had that happen.

I don't know about HF guns. When they get TOO cheap,I'd advise caution. I paid $35.00 back in the 80's,so it wasn't the World's cheapest gun,at least. I doubt I could do any better with a $300.00 gun. Of course,lacquers are thinner than solid color enamels and metallic finishes.

I don't spray metallic finishes,so I can't say anything about them.

DSC_1350.JPG DSC_1348.JPG IMG_0472.jpg

Another vote for the Harbor Freight #47016. For the money, they are very good guns. They have received good reviews on some other forums in the line of auto and machinery restoration. And they are cheap enough that you can toss them after a few uses or a project completion if you want. Think I currently have three of them on the shelf

I'm late as usual but here's my .02 worth,I also have a Binks w/2qt pot and its great for those little larger jobs but my favorite is my DeVilbiss Plus which uses dekup system.Using the dekup system I can mix it in 9oz,24oz,34oz. disposable liner and as you spray the kup collapses squeezing out all the paint and you can spray upside down if you need to.But with the price of thinner changing with price of gas,I use less than 4oz to clean the gun.Now with all this being said the kups will run you about little over a 1.00 for the larger ones but I can hang up the gun and finish spraying the next day,I just wipe the cap off with thinner for the night.Looks like we all have our favorite gun that we don't need a license for LOL----kroll

DSC02209.JPG

Back