Stainless Flange

What's it for?

Given' me flashbacks. This kind of stuff was our bread & butter. Our old shop was next door to a stainless pipe distributor.

I don’t know what it’s for. It’s a customer part. I used a 432 cnmg sandvik insert with TiN coating on a 1” shank. 24 rpm .007” per rev feed. Very nice finish. Used a little of the extra thick Tapmagic as lube. That first picture was a triangle insert tool that didn’t work very well. Swapped to the old standby. I volunteered to do all they want. Easy job except the weight.

Machined a ton of those in the past making filter vessels . The one thing I can comment on is the finish . We ran a rough finish on our seal surfaces to better hold the seal , otherwise yes , you have a nice finish .

Machined a ton of those in the past making filter vessels . The one thing I can comment on is the finish . We ran a rough finish on our seal surfaces to better hold the seal , otherwise yes , you have a nice finish .
I have a feeling they are using this structurally not for fluid application. I agree a spiral finish should be applied if gaskets should be used.

Our customer would ask for a "record player" (groovy) finish.

Yep I even thought about that. Have to figure the facing feed and use a threading tool to get the groove on.

Found out this was a mounting flange to a big stainless hopper used to feed plastic pellets to extruders. That’s why they didn’t want or need a spiral finish.

Back