Start up tooling list

rrroadster

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

Here's my startup tooling list.

I already had a set of Mitutoyo 8" digital calipers.

I got a Tesatast DTI off Ebay. The model is to be accurate to .00005". We checked it at work and found it limited to +/- .0001 accuracy. I can live with that for what I paid. No adapters/holders though.

For holding gauges I'm trying a Harbor Freight 45 lb magnetic base. They're on sale for $9.99. Check and make sure it will hold on a vertical surface before you buy. ;)

I just put in an order with Enco. They have a 20% off code - FEBWP - that ends tonight.

20 piece plain HSS 2 & 4 flute center cutting end mill set, 3/16" - 3/4" with 3/8, 1/2 & 3/4 shanks. P/N 320-0005

A pair of Brown & Sharpe audible, cylindrical edge finders, 3/8" shank w/.2" tip, 1/2" shank w/.5" tip. P/Ns 891-4719 & 891-4721 respectively

An SPI dial indicator w/.5" travel, .001" increments. P/N TM319-3680

A Noga DTI holder for sweeping/tramming the mill - should also serve to find hole centers. P/N 890-1343

My other order for the day was with Light Tool Supply. No discount code, but the owner, Mike, pointed me towards a more cost effective set of parallel plates that he said would work as good as the $60 set I originally looked at. So...

A set of 1/8" parallel plates (10 pr). P/N TPS-081

A 6 pc set of Lyndex R8 collets from 1/8" to 3/4" in 1/8" increments. Mike said they were really good (Japanese mfg vs Chinese) but nobody ever bought them. This is one place where I think going for good quality counts. P/N 810-060

An axial indicator holder (again so I can use the DTI). P/N 51-130-3

A dovetail adapter for 3/8" gauge stand. P/N 12-441-2

After I got my order confirmation, I think he's just drop shipping stuff from Penn Tool. Since I'm on th East Coast I'm looking for cost effective vendors in a similar location to keep down on shipping $$.

Lastly, I'll be getting a Glacern GSV-440 4" Mill Vise. Again it's a pricier unit, but it has good runout stats. It still is far less than a Kurt.

PS - I got a good deal on a set of Harbor Freight cobalt drill bits. A full set with number and letter size drills. List price ~$130, on sale for $99.99. They have a 20% off coupon good until March 15, so I got the set for $79.99. :) They should be fine as long as I watch drilling rpms and invest in a sharpener. These drills will not be used in the hand drill! (famous last words) P/N 47653.

They also had an 8 pc set of Silver & Deming type drill bits, list $36.99 on sale for $29.99. P/N 527. They should serve my initial needs for aluminum and delrin as long as I watch the rpms.

rrr

I'll second the motion on the Glacern 4" vice... I put one on my X3 (after making adapter keys...) and it is one fine vice! Hardened on both jaws AND ways, it should last every bit as long as a Kurt. It really is beautiful! Having had bad experiences with NON-Hardened vice ways, I'll 'never' buy another non-hardened. The ways are the heart of accuracy, and if you're always having to stone out knicks and scratches, your accuracy will nosedive long before the screw wears out. I have used some Kurts for years, daily, and they're every bit as accurate and smooth as the day we got them.
And the S&D bits... I've used mine on cold rolled in the lathe and they cut just fine. Just watch your speed, and remember that big bits like big feed rates or they'll chatter. Horsepower is the limiting factor.

Have fun!

Back