Starting My CNC Journey for PM-25MV Mill

I got past the empty tool path error.

I'm still trying to decide which way to go: Fusion 360 or FreeCAD. They both are not easy to learn. I do like the idea of having the CAD/CAM software on my LinuxCNC PC.

FreeCAD has its issues too. I don't know how to only select certain areas to contour. It may not be possible.

I've been reading that Fusion 360 seems to be moving toward charging for hobbyist. If that's the case, the decision is easy.

I have my LinuxCNC PC up and running now with the ASRock Mini ITX DDR3 1066 Q1900B-ITX MB, 240 GB SSD, and 16 GB DDR3 RAM. My jitter numbers are good under 16,000.

I am a hobbyist and use Fusion 360. A few weeks ago I renewed my non-commercial user's license with nothing more than a few clicks of the mouse. Never say never but I am a believer that Fusion will remain free for us hobbyists. If you still have reservations you can save your files in several different formats that FreeCad can open, which is what I do. I'll keep using it until they start charging, then I will evaluate whether it makes sense to pay up or move on.

After playing with both Fusion 360 and FreeCAD for quite a bit, I've decided to go with Fusion 360. I don't think FreeCAD is quite there yet. It still needs a bit more polishing. It may be me, but things are a little harder to do and a little cruder in FreeCAD.

The only downside to Fusion is I can't run it on my LinuxCNC platform and the potential cost in the future.

I hope I don't regret this...

I'm starting to get a little worried about Fusion 360. I keep getting messages regarding subscriptions, pricing and such. I have a feeling they heading towards removing the free option for hobbyists.

So, I'm thinking of revisiting FreeCAD. My biggest concern was the CAM part of the software. But, it seems there are workarounds.

Back