Static phase converter question

I have no problems with reversing using the Mac 5 on my Kent mill. Just guessing, the reversing issue may have been related to the wiring of the switch relative to the generated leg of the 3 phase. Since reversing involves switching two legs, if the generated leg is one of those two, I would think that some odd things might happen.

MrWhoopee, you may be on to something there. Too bad that setup is long gone from my shop, it would be very interesting to try changing the hookup to see if it would reverse.

My machine has hi/lo range switching as well as reverse, any input on that feature ??

Ok so both will work but the RPC gives more power right ?
Please forgive my ignorance as I have no experience with phase converters, very little with 3ph. systems and
was code certified for residential power in 93, just enough knowledge to be dangerous............

Last edited:
Ok so both will work but the RPC gives more power right ?
Please for give my ignorance as I have no experience with phase converters, very little with 3ph. systems and
was code certified for residential power in 93, just enough knowledge to be dangerous............

Yes, the RPC will produce more power on the generated leg. I've never noticed the difference.

Thanks for the input fellas, I will mull it all over tonite and while I'm driving to pick up the mill tomorrow
that is if there are no road closures between here and Grant's Pass at the time.................................

Back