Steady and follow rests for 10" Logan 200

Damn! I can find heavy 10 steady rests on the bay but no Logan. Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks Mr Ed

I have a steady rest for a 9" South Bend, and it will fit on my Logan model 200 just fine. The v-groove in the base lines up well with the V-way on the Logan.HOWEVER, the center height is 1/2" lower, since it was made for a 9" lathe.The fingers could be adjusted to compensate, but it wouldn't accommodate a large-diameter piece.
I plan on putting a 1/2" thick riser block under the steady rest. I have the piece cut to size, but I need to mill two 90 degree V-grooves in it on opposite sides. The groove on the bottom would line up with the V-way of the lathe. The groove on the top would hold a 1/2" square piece of steel, which would line up with the groove in the bottom of the steady rest.
I don't know if steady rests for the 9" South Bend are any more common or less expensive than the Logan ones, but it's something to consider.
Hope this helps.
Rick W

Thanks for the info Rick. Sorry for the late reply. I have been down with a back injury. Still looking for a steady though.

My apologies for never responding on this one. Turns out that the friend of mine sold his SB a couple of months back, so I was unable to do any real comparison. I was hoping to find someone else near here with a H10 since they were rather common, but so far no luck. I will keep my eyes open, though.

I went ahead and ordered one from Tools4cheap today. There was actually one on the bay today after I purchased. That's life.

Aztoyman, Good for you. From the pics those Tools 4 Cheap units look nice. I was headed that way as well, until I stumbled on a comparatively cheaper Logan unit. Let us know what you think of the unit once you get it.

I got the steady rest and it looks like it's pretty well built. Better than I expected. It actually looks nicer than an original Logan 200 that I saw. I haven't used it yet but will as soon as I lose the post surgery walker, staples and narcotics for my pain.

I've collected a pretty fair amount of tooling and I'm dying to get healed up and start using my lathe.

I received my Tools4Cheap 10L steady rest yesterday and immediately tried it out. I've never used one before, but it was pretty obvious how to set it up and it worked as advertised. The finish on the steady rest, while okay, doesn't compare with an actual South Bend accessory in a cosmetic sense, but it works and the price was reasonable. Terry W.--if you're going to be in south Minneapolis sometime and would like to check the relative size of the Logan and S.B. steady rests I'd be happy to let you do it on mine. I'm working out of my house now (band instrument repair), so I'm here almost all the time. You should have my contact information from the local group.

Bill Burton

I received my Tools4Cheap 10L steady rest yesterday and immediately tried it out. I've never used one before, but it was pretty obvious how to set it up and it worked as advertised. The finish on the steady rest, while okay, doesn't compare with an actual South Bend accessory in a cosmetic sense, but it works and the price was reasonable. Terry W.--if you're going to be in south Minneapolis sometime and would like to check the relative size of the Logan and S.B. steady rests I'd be happy to let you do it on mine. I'm working out of my house now (band instrument repair), so I'm here almost all the time. You should have my contact information from the local group.

Bill Burton

Bill, thank you so much for the offer!! I think that would be an excellent idea. Give me a couple of weeks and I might be getting up your way.

Back