sticking quill

nav39

Registered
Registered
can not fix sticking quill

I picked up a 2001 enco knee mill with only 3 to 4 hours use on it and have it working reel well put i have one problem i have not been able to fix. the quill will stick when i leave it in the lock position for a short period of time if i lock it and release it it dose not stick put if i lock it and leave it for a period of time it will stick i have tried different oils including quill oil i removed the quill and inspected and cleaned it put know luck . has anyone had this problem and solved it
Thanks
Larry

Last edited:
Did you check the split cotter? - thats what locks the quill (you probably already know this...) anyway, unscrew the lock handle and push out the 2 brass parts of the split cotter. They compress on the quill column when you tighten the handle and should be milled to the exact diameter of the column, if the contact wear pattern isnt pretty consistent, you might file or stone it to make for a more even contact. I have an '05 Enco and between the 2 cotters is a small spring that acts as an assist to help release the clamping action - does yours have a spring? you might add one...

+ 1 for the spring. You will probably find they are sticking.

Dave

Yes all these things have been checked and double checked. what i found out tonight was that when i lock the quill it pushes the quill to the left side and because the quill and the housing are such a good fit it will stick or suck it self to the left side and then will break loos and jump instead of a smooth moment . when i had the quill out last week i drilled and taped the left side of the housing and put a oiling port thinking this would help. so tonight i took the port out and installed a temporary lock mechanize on the left side to see if this would fix the problem .WELL PROBLEM SOLVED as long as i lock both sides it will not stick . so tomorrow i will install a permanent lock system on the left side and hope all will bee good
Thanks for your help
Larry:)

Back