Stuck Chuck

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased a Sheldon 13" lathe that had been sitting unused for a while. One of the issues was a 3 jaw chuck the refused to unscrew from the spindle. I tried several things over a period of 4 or 5 days. Kept shooting PB Blaster on it. I started by chucking up a piece of hex bar and locking the back gear. I wrenched on the hex bar as much as I felt I could without breaking teeth. No luck. I left the wrench with weight hanging from it overnight. Nothing. Tried an impact wrench. Still nothing. Tonight I removed the chuck. (I forgot to mention that someone had mounted a 1 1/2-8 chuck to a 2 1/4-8 plate that was screwed onto the spindle.) I drilled a piece of bar and attached it to two bolts on the mounting plate. I turned a piece of bar so it was a tight fit in the rear of the spindle bore and then clamped a dog on the end of the spindle. Attached a chain from the pedestal to the dog. I used about 5' of cheater bar on the the mounting plate and it finally broke loose. I would have expected to see some of the penetrating oil on the threads after spraying it as much as I did, but it didn't appear to have wicked in at all. The threads were completely dry. Not real pleased with the PB Blaster.

Chuck

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG DSC04830.JPG

Chuck's Stuck Chuck unstuck!

Great to see that Chuck got his stuck chuck unstuck!:rofl:

The only way I know is with any snake oil is to warm it up, maybe to 200*. I figure if these new cars run around 200 and their bearings dont
melt it should be alright...

Back