Sudden Increase in Spindle Bearing Oil Consumption

A mechanic's trick is to clean everything up (wipe all surfaces dry). Then do a liberal coating of athlete's foot powder, and run it. The white powder should show a stark contrast to where the oils are leaking. It's a trick used on engines leaking oil, and should work on the lathe, too.

joe

I'll have to check mine - I've been filling the spindle cups for a few years wondering where the oil was going. The drip-page on the table was (I thought) from the QC gear box being over oiled in those cups. Hmmm......

I know this is three years later but my experience might help others.

My 10H started gobbling oil on the chuck end bearing. After some peering and mopping, I discovered what appeared to be a small bit of cotton fluff hanging out of the bearing right behind the chuck.

I had to disassemble the headstock bearings and lift up the spindle a bit to get it out.

It transpired that I had been recently machining some UHMW plastic. The final cuts were very fine. What I thought was cotton was very fine plastic thread. It was caught in the 'catcher groove' that collects the oil so it can drain back down to the reservoir at the bottom of the wick.

It was acting like a small wick. Doesn't take much to eat up a lot of spindle oil.

Mike

As your bearing clearances increase so shall your oil consumption

I know this is three years later but my experience might help others.

My 10H started gobbling oil on the chuck end bearing. After some peering and mopping, I discovered what appeared to be a small bit of cotton fluff hanging out of the bearing right behind the chuck.

I had to disassemble the headstock bearings and lift up the spindle a bit to get it out.

It transpired that I had been recently machining some UHMW plastic. The final cuts were very fine. What I thought was cotton was very fine plastic thread. It was caught in the 'catcher groove' that collects the oil so it can drain back down to the reservoir at the bottom of the wick.

It was acting like a small wick. Doesn't take much to eat up a lot of spindle oil.

Mike
I experienced this exact situation on my SB 9A...with the same material. Took awhile to find the one single sliver that had worked it's way into the collection groove. It will pump the oil out pronto.

Back